Need some suggestions of schooling fish

Betta Splendid 1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have a 29 gallon tank and my full stocking plan was 1 honey gourami, 10 harlequin rasboras, 8 black phantom tetras and 1 BN pleco. And currently there is 1 honey gourami. But I have decided to not get a BN Pleco after deciding I do not have a cave for him to hide in only some love plants and a piece of driftwood. What and how many schooling fish can I have instead of the BN pleco.

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you want you can get a 4 inch wide clay pot from a garden store or home improvement store for less than a dollar. That what I did for mine. Plus the driftwood will be good for a pleco as well. You could still do it if you wanted too.

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Never had Cardinal Tetras but they are cool to look at with the red and blue. Lemon Tetras are very cool, I have 8 in my tank now. Very active during the day, chasing, swimming, exploring and they don't nip at anyone else.

So you have 1 honey gouramI and that's all at this point?
Do you still want the rasbora and black phantom tetras? If so, then IMO, 3 schooling fish in a small tank like a 29, is too much. I would make each school larger, but if you really want too you could do 3 schools.

If you are open to other stocking then there tons of options.

OP
Betta Splendid 1

Betta Splendid 1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I really do want the rasboras and black phantoms is there another fish I could add instead of the BN pleco if 3 schools is too mutch.

OP
Betta Splendid 1

Betta Splendid 1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
alink Rams are peaceful fish I did not know that well I am not an expert on cichlids. And wouldn't the two Rams breed if they were a male and female. And by ram you mean something like a GBR right?

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Yes, Rams are peaceful.

The Rams may or may not breed, obviously you would need to have a male and a female for that to happen, and even then, its not guaranteed to occur. if you wanted to remove the concern of breeding, 2 females would do fine, and 2 males are fine if there's no female to fight over.

By Ram I mean any of the 4 main ones, Bolivian, GBR, Golden, Electric Blue; the last 3 are color morphs of the same fish.

Rams only get about 2 inches and a Krib gets about 4 inches. That is why I said 2 rams or 1 Krib.

OP
Betta Splendid 1

Betta Splendid 1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So what are the differences between male and female Rams any color differences etc.

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Generally, the Rams sold at fish stores are too small to accurately determine their sex.

If you want specifics on telling male and female you would be better off searching for threads asking for help sexing their Rams. You will learn what to look for better than I could describe. Or ask one of the genius's in the field of telling male/female cichlids like hampalong lol.

OP
Betta Splendid 1

Betta Splendid 1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So 10 harlequin rasboras, 8 black phantom tetras and 2 GBR would work in a 29 gallon

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
IMO, yes. I am rather surprised that nobody else has chimed in here...

BDpups

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Betta Splendid 1 said:
So 10 harlequin rasboras, 8 black phantom tetras and 2 GBR would work in a 29 gallon
That would be fine. I would go with the rasbora and then some hatchet fish myself. The tetra can get pretty big, and share the same space as the rasbora. Hatchets will stay at the top for the most part, rasbora in the middle, and rams on the bottom. Just my :

hampalong

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You're probably best buying sexually mature Rams so they're much easier to sex. Most of the commonly used methods are not 100% accurate although a dominant male or female in good condition in amongst other Rams is pretty easy to spot. I sex them on shape mainly, with the other factors as 'supporting evidence'.

OP
Betta Splendid 1

Betta Splendid 1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
When doing a bit of research I found that they are sensitive fish and I think my water p.h is too high for Rams. My waters p.h is around 7.4-7.6 ph. Any cool inverts I could add I have heard of bamboo shrimp those look cool.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Betta Splendid 1 said:
When doing a bit of research I found that they are sensitive fish and I think my water p.h is too high for Rams. My waters p.h is around 7.4-7.6 ph. Any cool inverts I could add I have heard of bamboo shrimp those look cool.
That's not too high for rams. I've kept them in a higher pH than that and they're fine. A higher pH is easier for fish to adapt to than a lower one.

alink

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have had Golden Ram and Bolivian rams in 8.2 and they died with 4-5 months. Whether it was because of the pH, I have no clue. I also have a GBR in a 20 gallon with pH of 8.2 and she has been doing great but only been in for about 5 months.

They likely won't breed in a higher pH, but as long as they are acclimated properly, they should be fine. Usually if they aren't acclimated good enough they will die within the first 3 days.

New Threads