Need some suggestions for stocking up 100 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by freakprince, Mar 23, 2010.

1. freakprinceNew MemberMember

:;scuba

Hey there

came across this site and thought it would be great to join

need some help setting up this tank

thinking of setting up either semi- aggressive tank

need some ideas of type of fishes as well as how many i can stock up

i have one oscar, one jd and one african cichild that are only few inches long

they will go in there once its setup

so sugguestion would be greatly appreicated

thanks

2. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

Well I'm afraid the african cichlid will have to go, once they are older it will not get along with your oscar and JD.
    With an oscar on the stock list I really don't think there is much you can add without over stocking. 2 Oscars need a 120G so going by this I would say you have room for one more Jack dempsey and that would be all I would stock, but thats just my opinion.

3. Jrobber

JrobberWell Known MemberMember

4. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Welcome to Fishlore!

An oscar and a pair of JD's would be great in a 100g.

What type of african cichlid do you have?

5. OP
    OP
    f

freakprinceNew MemberMember

i was thinking more like one oscar, one red devil or parrot fish, one JD, and one african cichild... i dunno what type of african it is but its light in color and looks simliar to JD...

i will try and get pic to show you

platy ben
    you said you have african cichild community?
    can you tell me what type of fishes you got in there?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2010
  6. btate617

btate617Well Known MemberMember

If the African looks like your jack dempsey but is lighter in color it is probably a Jewel (Hemichromis bimaculatus) and would actually be ok with the dempsey. Pictures would help to be sure though.

I would ditch the red devil idea.

Brian

7. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

I know 100gal seems huge but it's not very big once you start stocking it with big fish like Oscars & JD's. Forget the Red Devil & forget the african unless it turns out to be a Jewel. I don't think a Parrot would be up to dealing with an Oscar but that's just my opinion. One Oscar & a pair of JD's OR one Oscar, one JD & one Jewel would work but no more than that. If you overstock american cichlids you are going to have some pretty severe aggression issues.

If you want a cichlid tank with lots of fish in it then your better off going with rift lake cichlids which usually need to be overstocked.

8. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello FreakPrince and Welcome to Fish Lore!

:animal0068:I've moved your thread to the Aquarium Stocking Questions section of the forum to help you receive more responses.

Best wishes and I hope you enjoy the site!
    Ken

9. OP
    OP
    f

thanks aquarist48... didn't know i posted in the wrong section

thanks

10. OP
    OP
    f

what are rift lake cichlids??

is there a site that tells me the speices of them?

appreciated it...

11. platy ben

platy benWell Known MemberMember

American cichlid community :)

Rift lake cichlids are cichlids from lake malawi and lake tangyanika

12. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

There are over 1500 species of rift lake cichlids. They are mostly very colourful & a well set up rift lake aquarium can rival any marine aquarium for colour. The real beauty is that many rift lake cichlids actually need to be overstocked to help prevent aggression issues so there is always LOTS of activity. They come from the volcanic lakes of the rift valley in Africa. The water in these lakes is hard & alkaline & mostly devoid of plant life. Here's a link to some basic info on rift lake cichlids & thier habitat:  

PS: In the link there is a pic of a Jewel Cichlid near the top of the page on the left side. Tell us if that is the african fish that you have.

13. OP
    OP
    f

that's not what it looks like... it pretty whiteish with black strips? i am working tonight so once i get home in the morning i will take a pic and see if you can help me ID it...

thanks

looks like i can go with the rift cichild... (assuming it silimar to african cichild)

should be a fun project to do so the kids can enjoy the activity!!

heh

14. OP
    OP
    f

closer look at it, is it possible another JD?? cuase of the shiny spotting near the mouth/face area

let me know

thanks

15. bolivianbaby

bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Yes, that's a JD.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice