Need some plant suggestions Question 

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I was at a new LFS today that I never went to before and they seemed to have some great prices on various plants.

Amazon Sword-$1.95 at about 3"-4"
Anubias-$2.95(Think I spelled it right)
Java Fern-$2.95
Anacharis about 10"-12"-$1.95(seemed very cheap to me?)
Purple Waffle-$6 at about 4"-5"(This stuff looked awesome!)

There were more, some floating grassy looking stuff(was $2.95) and more larger sword in the back(wasn't Amazon in back but it ran about $6-$7 at 16"-18" high).

My questions are:
1.Are these good prices
2.What plants are okay to keep with stock hood lighting?
3.Which are the easier to care for variety?

Thanks in advance

Paigee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I believe that the anubias and the java fern will do pretty well in low lighting conditions and are easy to care for. Hope that's helpful

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Everything is helpful to me, I'm a plant noob

Thanks for the input

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hello

I have some Anubias, Java Moss, and Japanese Mariomo Balls. All are doing well, I haven't really given them any special care other than pruning, fresh water with the water changes (every 5 days). I let the detritus be my fertilizer by only vacuuming over the top of the substrate and deep cleaning around the edges of the tank. Low lighting.

Ken

Nate McFin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Purple waffle is NON aquatic. Dont buy it! There are some grasses that are non aquatic also so ask what they are before you buy. Mondo grass should be avoided.
The rest seem very reasonable and those listed are all easy to care for. The swords will get very large and shouldn't go in a tank less that 20 gallon. In a 20 I would use one.

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Really on purple waffle?? They got a whole crop of these in a 40 breeder at my LFS. I do have a Japanese Mariomo Ball currently and it is still green so I assume its doing okay. Wife also has another in there but unsure what it was but only about 3"-4" high after 3 months(looks like another sword). Thanks for the help all.

Regal

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Other than the waffle plant all of them seem like good choices for a low light tank. The sword and Anacharis would do better with more light but will still be ok in low light. If the floating plant is Java Moss it will do fine in low light too.

Those are really good prices!

Elodea

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Anubias and Java fern do great in low-light tanks, both are relatively small rhizome plants that can either be planted into the gravel (with the rhizome above substrate) or tied to ornaments, driftwood, or rocks.

I agree with Nate, Amazon swords get huge and shouldn't be attempted in smaller tanks. In addition, it is a high-light plant.

Anacharis is medium-light and may require a lighting upgrade to at least 2 WPG.

These are great prices! And to think I got my tiny, beat up Anubias at $7.00.

snail_chen

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Purple Waffle is fake aquatic plant!

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads