Need Some Mid-level Swimmers 55 Gallon Tank

1. Robjoco

Robjoco Valued Member Member

Hello fishy people!

I’ll soon be ready to add some mid-level fish to my 55. What do you recommend?

Currently, I have 6 longfin blue danios that hang out in the upper third (will add 4 more at some point), 5 danio erythromicron that stay close to the bottom (will add 5 at some point), and 5 small mystery snails.

I’d consider a mid-level school of smallish fish, or larger centerpiece ones in smaller numbers.

My pH is 7.6, and the lfs said my water is very hard but I’m not well-versed in hardness so I didn’t understand when he threw a dozen numbers at me, rather smugly. (My water hardness test kit is on the way.) Temp is 23 C/74 F.

2. W

Wraithen Well Known Member Member

Honestly, at most tank sizes it's hard to get 3 truly different zones for schoolers. There's really only 1 or 2 true top dwellers that kind of school. Bottom schoolers are easy, but a defined mid schooler isnt really a thing. My bloodfins school at all levels of a 65 gallon.

3. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Valued Member Member

Neon tetras or cardinals?

4. OP
    OP
    Robjoco

That’s good to know!

5. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Valued Member Member

My neons hang out in the lower-middle of my tank. Many other tetras school in the midlevel, too.

6. OP
    OP
    Robjoco

Well that’ll be fun to learn about! I hope some of them are ok with my pH and hard water.

7. Fredward

Fredward Valued Member Member

Probably you're probably going to have to choose a fish and hope for the best. I have two schools of two different types tetras (black skirt and Colombian) and they both hang out in the lower half of the aquarium except during feeding time.

Rainbow fish are a group that do good in harder water (btw don't worry about that much. Danios prefer harder water so your pH is just fine for them). Maybe a school of Melanotaenia praecox?

8. OP
    OP
    Robjoco

Oh yes, rainbows are beautiful! Good thinking!

9. CraniumRex

CraniumRex Well Known Member Member

My harlequin rasboras school mid-level. They investigate the bottom sometimes if there is food but generally they are at the halfway level or a little above. I have 11 of them in my 55, temp 74 and pH 7.6 with moderately hard water and they seem to be doing well. I was underwhelmed when I first got them but 4 months in they have developed beautiful colour.

10. OP
    OP
    Robjoco

Excellent! They sound like a good contender!