Need some ideas for stocking a 55 gallon tank

1. LiterallyHydro

LiterallyHydro Well Known Member Member

Hi everyone. I recently acquired a 55 gallon aquarium with a wet/dry filter from a friend of mine. I was thinking about stocking it with African Cichlids, but I've already been there and done that. A few SA/CA fish have been interesting me lately however. Jack Dempseys, Blood Parrots, Firemouths etc. Now I do realize that if I go down this path, I can't stock nearly as many fish as I would Africans.

So what are some options I could do? I particularly like the Jack Dempseys and the Blood Parrots. Given the aggression of the Jack Dempseys, particularly when breeding. Would it be possible to stock a single Jack Dempsey (To eliminate breeding aggression) with other fish? If that can't work, can anyone throw me some ideas? I haven't personally owned a lot of these SA/CA fish so a lot of them interest me right now.

This is a pretty large Wet/Dry filter on this system, I'm not worried about the fish being messy or anything. I have a canister filter in storage as well, just in case I need the extra oomph.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What about a biotope with a pair of firemouths and some P. mexicana or X. hellerii?

Or a pair of parrots with a pair of Bolivian rams and some hardy schooling fish.