5 Gallon Tank Need Some Ideas For Planting A 5 Gallon Betta Tank

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello everyone, I'm in need of some ideas for a standard 5 gallon tank that I have one of my Bettas in on my desk here at home. I have never done much with this tank as I have never gotten around to getting a proper light for it. Well I finally ordered a light last night so now I can grow more than basic low light stuff that I have been doing in there.I have been doing way too much research on plants and now everything is jumbled and I may just get 1 of everything. Lol. I need some help.
It has white sand and there is a black and white damask background as well. Everything else is coming out so I can have a fresh start. I would love some opinions on what type of plants I should have in here. I would love any and all suggestions. I really want to have some type of carpeting plant, but not sure if Excel will work well enough, as I am not setting up C02 right now. I have root tabs, fertilizers, and Excel.
The new light should have the ability to grow most plants and will have an output of 720 lumens. I know everyone has their own opinions on how to measure what light is best, I find that lumens works for my setups. Here is what the betta looks like, as the plants will have to look good with him. Lol. Any ideas and input is highly appreciated. Thank you!

20190520_155925.jpg

lilirose

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My 5 gallon betta tank has seven anubias plants- three of which I cut into more than one piece when they came out of the pot- two bucephalandra, a java fern, some java moss, and three marimo moss balls. All of these prefer low light- also all are epiphytes rather than root feeders. I also have floaters (amazon frogbit and duckweed, also had salvinia but took it out as it grew way too fast).

I'm almost surprised there is still room for a fish. I literally have trouble finding him at times. Bettas prefer lots and lots of plants though. They don't live in muddy puddles in the wild, but do live in very dense vegetation.

Sheena-Phx

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sounds like a beautiful setup, I'm sure he is very happy! I love lots of plants as well. I currently have Marimo, Anacharis, duckweed, and java moss in there with him. There were some Pygmy chain swords and a few other things that I recently moved elsewhere. I love the jungle look, so I'm really leaning towards Jungle Val, or Giant Hairgrass in the back, some type of carpet, and some centerpiece plants. But I can't narrow it down to specifics. Lol.

Top Bottom