Need some help 10 Gallon Tank

1. Fish'd Member Member

Alright, so I got my fish tank for Christmas! It was a 10 gallon Aqua-Culture kit. I set it up and bought some new stuff. I currently have everything running. This is what I have...

A 10 Gallon
    Sand substrate
    An air stone bubble bar
    A heater (2-15gal, I believe)
    An Aqua-Tech 20-60gal air pump (the 2-15 wasn't that powerful, so I got another)
    A HOB filter (2-15gal I think, maybe Tetra, it came with the tank)
    Plastic plants
    Other random decorations (rocks, shot glass, ceramic sign)
    A thermometer
    A gravel hose
    A net
    A breeder box (just in case)
    A bucket
    Tetra AquaSafe (trial pack and a bottle)
    Tetra EasyBalance
    Tetrafin fish food

What am I missing?

Also, is there a cycling method you recommend? Certain (cheap) test kits? Tetra Safe Start? I put some of the fish flake and AquaSafe in earlier. About 2 pinches, maybe. How often should I test the water?

I want to put 4, max 5 cories in this tank. I have the option of Bronze, Albino, and recently, Peppered and Panda (the latter I might want to stay away from; I hear they're sensitive). Then I thought about a ghost shrimp or two. That's probably pushing it, but I want to know... Would I be able to fit anything in safely after that? What numbers would you stock with the options of cories, shrimp, and maybe guppies?

I've been researching for 3 months, and now that I have the tank, it's like all of my knowledge went straight out the window. xD

Please help! Thanks. <3

2. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome, fish'd!

I think you should do a fishless cycle, using ammonia or a piece of shrimp in a sock. The link in my signature explains the methods in detail.

What are you testing with? We recommend the API master test kit around here. You want a good liquid kit.

As far as your stock, I would wait until the tank is cycled. You've only listed fish that will stay at the bottom - is this a look you are going for?

If I were you, I would consider pygmy cories or some otos for the bottom, and maybe a couple of platies for some color swimming around the tank.

3. Fish'd Member Member

I know fishless, but I've been thinking about the ammonia idea. I read somewhere that the shrimp thing can produce mold. I don't know, though.

I'm not testing with anything yet. I have 23 dollars, so I want something reliable that I can afford.

I was going to wait, anyway. It'd break my heart if I killed one. D:
    Are guppies really bottom swimmers? I figured the guppies are small and colorful, so they'd look nice. I know I definitely want cories of some sort, though.

I kind of forgot about otos. Would Dainty Cories work? I hear the smaller kinds are more sensitive, and these are fish I'd have to order, so I really can't do anything if I mess up.

Thanks! :D

4. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

lol... I missed the guppies. Guppies swim all over the tank. Mine swim a little bit more on the bottom than the top, though.

How about 4 pygmy cories (or otos) and a couple of guppies? I don't know a lot about the shrimp, but I think you could have them.

5. Fish'd Member Member

That's weird; I always thought they were surface fish. :b

I suppose I could do that. What if I ditched the guppies idea and went for some of the bigger cories and a shrimp or two? Thanks for responding, by the way. :;fb

6. thorpbrian Member Member

Shrimp have very little affect on the bioload of the tank. After the tank is well established you could probably add 4 or 5 without a problem along with 4 cories and 4 guppies (I recommend all males so you don't end up with fry).

I would also recommend an additional filter if you can afford it. The more filtration the better.

7. Fish'd Member Member

4 bigger cories?

The filter I have has been acting up, which I suppose is because of the sand. I plan on putting sheer cloth around the intake so that stops.

2 filters, or one that supports more gallons? I played with the first idea, because if one ever went out, I'd still have one to work with. Or I could transfer it to another tank if need be.

Thanks for replying. I just want to make sure I do this right the first time.:D

8. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I would not go with 4 male guppies. When they aren't with females, they can get aggressive with each other.

I have 3 males in my 30 gallon long, and am battling an aggression issue right now. Shawnie, one of the moderators, has said many times also that male guppies without females can be aggressive,

I would try the 4 cories and 2 guppies. After a couple of months, you could always add another compatible fish or two.

Another option is 4 cories and 5 neon tetras... although the neons like a more established tank, so you'd want to just have your cories and shrimp for a while.

I know shrimp don't add much bioload, I wasn't sure if they would be compatible with the cories.

9. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

yes, you can do 4 regular cories.
    a new pantyhose around the filter, or a filter sponge put around the intake helps. Also, if you can shorten your intake tube so it isn't so close to the sand.

1 big filter or 2 smaller ones is up to you. You want at least 100 gallons per hour flow rate total.

If you get another one that's bigger, you could always leave the current one running and use it for an instantly cycled hospital/quarantine tank.

10. Fish'd Member Member

I've heard about the aggressive thing, too.

Would 2 guppies fight for dominance, or would the male chase a female to death? I know both of these are common in many fish.

I'm pretty sure shrimp are compatible with cories. I've seen videos of them together, but I could still be way wrong. D:

I do like the four cories, 2 guppies option though. <3

11. Fish'd Member Member

Missed this post. Dx

Good. Those albinos have my eye~
    I'll have to go get some pantyhose tomorrow then; there aren't any places to find a filter sponge around here.

Ok. That's a good idea. I may as well get them while I haven't cycled yet, too.

One for a hospital tank... guess you can't go wrong with that. :D

You people are so helpful, you know that? <3

12. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I think that you could do 1 male and 2 female guppies. Them and 4 cories - you will be a bit overstocked, but with good filtration and maintainence, you should be okay.

They will breed A LOT but if you limit hiding spots, the adults should eat the fry, so you shouldn't have an overpopulation problem.

You always have the option of your cories with something like a honey sunset gourami or two.

13. Fish'd Member Member

As long as my tank isn't outrageously stocked and my fish are healthy and happy, I'm ok.

There isn't a lot of cover in my tank, so that's not to much of a problem. If I have survivors, my LFS will take them. I've asked. :]

I forgot about gouramis... hmm... my stock list has changed a billion times. Seems like there's no end in sight, lol

14. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

You might like playing around with this website. I think it's pretty awesome - the only thing is that it's computer generated, so you still want to post your stock lists on here to see if someone has real-life experiences that could influence your decision.

http://www.aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php

good night. :)

15. Fish'd Member Member

I love that site. I've just always wondered how accurate it was.

Sounds like a plan. Good night. :3

16. thorpbrian Member Member

That sight is pretty accurate and is updated very frequently. The guy who runs it has spent A LOT of time on this forum and others getting feedback from aquarists to constantly improve it. It's already come a long way since I first discovered it. The first time I used it there was only about 150 species, 15 filter choices and you had to enter your own tank dimensions.

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I totally agree. He's done a great job.

It strays pretty far from the old 1 inch per gallon rule, but it considers filtration, etc. I still run stuff by people on here just in case. The creator is always updating it, but it still can't consider every single factor.

18. Fish'd Member Member

@thorpbrian: Ah, that's great to know! I just wondered where it all came from. I like that it's updated often, too.

@Meenu: I never did like that 1"/gal rule. It doesn't make much sense. I'll try and check with FishLore too, just to make sure.