Need Some Help With Wheelchair Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Rtessy, Apr 22, 2019.

1. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Hey guys! My poor Bubba Whale (short for Bubble Whale) is a Yuan Bao Oranda who developed SBD pretty badly after shipping, likely sustained damage during the shipping process.
    Since he's a pretty heavily fancied fancy, there's probably not much I can do. When I first got him, I did all the normal treatments, aside from antibiotics, and he gets fresh veggies pretty much daily.
    After a recent storm, I don't know if storms mess with fish, but he was immediately severely worse after, and hadn't showed signs of worsening for the past several months until this point.
    Well, now he's doing really bad. Can't right himself, stuck head down, bottom up. He can still move, it doesn't seem to drag him to the surface, so I want to make him a wheelchair with a weighted back end.
    He's easy to catch by hand, because, well, he's got limited maneuverability. .
    I know most of the little wheelchairs seem to be made of airline tubing, but I've got no idea how they work.
    Anyone have advice for making one?

2. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

I’m so stupid sometimes, what is a Bubble Whale? This looked like a good idea.....

If you YouTube, “Es Ivy, fish wheelchair.” It will come up to a nice little DIY video, on how to make a fish wheelchair. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2019
  3. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

That's just the silly little name I gave him, haha!
    And thanks, I'll look at that ASAP!!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2019
  4. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

storms usually mean a low pressure system. probably affected his air bladder, like it does our joints, for those of us with arthritis.

5. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Thanks! Yeah I had to buy a barometer just so I could figure out when I'd get migraines, and this one did mess with the pressure really badly. It also entirely filled my pond, which is quite impressive, lol

6. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Here's an example of him, he was just spinning this morning with his head down? IMG_20190422_093359732.jpg

Attached Files:

7. PheonixKingZWell Known MemberMember

Poor guy.....just wondering use are tubing, it will make him float!!:)

This website doesn’t say how to do it, but it shows a picture!!:)

8. GuanchyWell Known MemberMember

no advice here since i dont have any experience with goldfish but i hope your little guy gets better soon

9. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

have you fasted him? or tried epsom salt bath?

10. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

Find a fish vet. It may be fixable without an external device.

11. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Yes and yesish, yes he's been fasted multiple times, and tbe tank he initially went into had epsom salt at the main tank level, not a bath level.
    There was no sign of SBD before he was shipped, only after.

How far is too far to transport a fish to a vet? That would be a 3-4 hour round trip, not undoable, but I'm concerned about his health, especially in our sudden heat here.

12. SkavatarWell Known MemberMember

a vet visit will probably cost $50 just to be diagnosed and probably another $100 to deflate the air bladder or remove gas from the intestine.

13. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Oof, yeah not 100% sure I've got that atm... Maybe $80, but that's it, lol

14. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

It's about the same distance for me and I've done it several times. I've also done multi-day moves with fish so 90 min each way seems easy now.

15. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

Do you think it would be fixable? He's had it since 2/4/19, so it's been quite a while.

16. AvalancheDaveWell Known MemberMember

It's hard to judge but if he's lasted this long...

17. RtessyFishlore VIPMember

I'll give them a call tomorrow, it says they probably have to refer me somewhere else, so it depends on how far away that place is and their cost.

18. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Probably not happening either, but thought I'd post this

19. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

I’m sorry but surgery on a fish is insane

20. angelcrazeWell Known MemberMember

Ok.....

So surgery is insane or the fishkeeper attempting it?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2019