Need Some Help With My Rcs

1. O

Over It Well Known Member Member

I recently switched one of my tanks from a Betta tank to a shrimp tank. This tank has been up and running for 3 yrs. I added Anacharis, Anubias, 5 Marimo moss balls, Java Moss and Frogbit. They have a couple of decor pieces for molting and the water parameters are perfect.

I also added a piece of a Bottom Feeder wafer one night before lights out and they didn't touch it all night so I removed it. I tried some defrosted brine shrimp tonight, but I don't know if they've eaten any or not.

My problem is I've lost 5 shrimp already. I have no idea what I am doing wrong and what I can do to make sure the rest stay healthy and happy.

What else can I do or what am I missing?

2. OP
    OP
    O

Here's a pic of my tank. It's a 5.5 gal. I actually took out the biggest silk plant that was in the left hand corner today when I did a water change. 5e1d260e036aef0a0071234917d8d3cb.jpg

One thing I was wondering about was maybe the temp is too high. It's been at 82F since it's been so hot here lately. I try to get the temp down some, nothing is working right now so there's not much I can do till the weather cools off a bit.

3. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

What are your parameters? Do you know your GH/KH? How did you acclimate them? How long have they been in there?

4. OP
    OP
    O

My GH is 10 and my KH is 6. PH- 7.2, Ammonia-0 Nitrite -0 Nitrate-5.

They've been in there for about a week or less.

I acclimated them by adding a little bit of the tank water to their bag every 5-10 min till it was mostly tank water and then added them to the tank.

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

Hmm, that doesn't sound problematic. Where did you get them?

6. OP
    OP
    O

I got 3 at Petco and then 21 at my local LFS. They have a thriving colony so I don't get it.

7. OP
    OP
    O

Anyone have any ideas what I'm missing? I really don't want this to fail. I spent a ton on these shrimp and I've wanted some for a long time.

8. OP
    OP
    O

I also have another question. I have read that RCS will eat dead plant leaves. I've been leaving the leaves that have fallen off in there for them, but it doesn't seem like they touch them. I also checked the Ammonia daily to make sure they weren't causing any spikes and it's always been 0.
    If they won't eat that many plant leaves can I add my Trapdoor Snail to their tank? I already have 4 tiny Horned Nerites and a Golden Mystery Snail in with them, but I thought maybe the Trapdoor would do a good job cleaning up what they don't eat.

Also just found another dead Shrimp. :(

9. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Member Member

RCS are big time algae eaters. Switch to Hikari Algae Wafers or blanched (boiled) vegetables, I will delete this account if they don't go for it.

10. OP
    OP
    O

Will do! Would some Zucchini be good to start with? I'll have to see what brand my Algae wafers are.

11. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Member Member

Zucchini is perfect. Make sure you boil until soft, and allow it to cool. Shrimp don't like eating a scalding hot vegetable any more than you do.

The brand of the algae wafer doesn't matter, I'd use whatever you have and switch it up if it doesn't work. Like I said I don't see that happening, however.

Get to it! Your shrimp are starving!

12. OP
    OP
    O

Lol I actually already feed my Goldfish Boiled veggies everyday so a bit extra for the Shrimp is no problem! I have the Tetra Pleco Wafers with Algae and Zucchini. Gonna give them one right now.

13. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Member Member

Let me know how it goes!

14. OP
    OP
    O

Will do! *fingers crossed*

15. OP
    OP
    O

Good news I think. I've seen some of the Shrimp eating the algae wafer. Hopefully that was the missing link.
    I'm gonna test their water and make sure it didn't make the ammonia spike, but if not I'm super happy to see that they are eating it.

16. DHIWZ

DHIWZ Member Member

Woohoo!

17. japswe

japswe Initiate Member

Ps. If your water is too warm I usually freeze a bottle of water and let it float in the tank. Temperature changes slowly and you can keep an eye on the thermometer. I've also used my white wine chiller which works wonders and cheaper than the aquarium variety