Need Some Help With Anubias

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by FireflySky, Oct 2, 2017.

1. FireflySky

FireflySkyValued MemberMember

Need a little help with my anubias. I've noticed the leaves looking a darker shade of green, but blotchy. They've also had a few spots of what I believe is black algae, but that rubbed off easily. This darker green discoloration does not rub off.. I was pretty firm but did not want to hurt the leaf.

A few weeks ago I noticed one plant with a smaller, yellowish leaf and snipped it off, and one plant (nana) has a little touch of a brown tip almost like it got burnt. I only got that about 2 weeks ago and that developed a week later. I'm keeping an eye on it and it hasn't gotten worse so maybe it just new plant blues??

The other plants I have are various species of java fern that looked a little rough out of the store but have really begun to improve. I only dose with flourish and lights are on 8 hrs a day (just increased from 7, as I wanted a little algae for the nerites). The tank does get hit with some sunlight mid-late day, and I'm attempting to grow wisteria for a bit of cover (with not much luck).

I just did a water change, so lights are off and I'll be a bit busy but I'll try to get pictures in the near future if it helps. Any advice would be a big help.

2. bettathe

bettatheNew MemberMember

My Anubis nana was my first ever plant and actually had that same problems I would just trim the plant and it would slowly but surely come back. Once I substituted flourish excel for my flourish comp. the problem went away... Every once in a while ill get that little burnt spot but it doesn't take long for itself to grow back. I try to leave my lights on for about 7-9 hours a day. Odd that you wisteria isn't growing as well... mine grow like weeds (so annoying to trim every week). Pictures will help

3. -Mak-

-Mak-Well Known MemberMember

Sounds like a deficiency and/or possibly green spot algae, but since it's new it could also be adjustment. Like @bettathe said pics will help! :)

4. OP
    OP
    FireflySky

Good some pictures this morning, including the wisteria. I have 2 smaller pieces floating around but what's pictured is the largest chunk. Looks green, just not growing, and I always lose a leaf or two after a water change.

Attached Files:

5. OP
    OP
    FireflySky

Just wanted to bump this post, as I added pictures this morning. Any advice on what is going on with my plants?

6. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

What ferts do you dose? Looks like GSA, caused by low phosphates in relation to nitrates... browning areas is either due to lack of ferts or they were grown emersed prior...

The anubias in the last photo has to be moved out of the shade a bit more.

Also, make sure that for all of them the rhizome (long twig like structure the leaves and roots both grow from) is exposed or it will rot.

7. OP
    OP
    FireflySky

I'm only using Flourish, but I have a bad habit of over feeding some (getting the hang of it). I'm starting a water change now and nitrates are 5 ppm, highest I've let them go is 20 but they've been low recently, probably due to extra water changes I've had to do (went on vaca) and pothos growing at the top of the tank.

I just scrubbed down as I've neglected the algae, and I used a toothbrush on the anubias. The dark green color came off, so I'm assuming that's algae. There was some brown algae here and there as well. Upon further inspection my java ferns needed a little wiping down as well. I'll cut the lights back to 7 hours and be more careful about feeding.

I'll move the shaded plant out a bit more, and they are all tied/ glued to lava rocks. I try to make sure they are above the substrate best I can but some in the back are a little hard to tell. My water sprite keeps rotting at the stem. I've been snipping it off as I clean but at this rate I'm ready to give up on it.

8. Jocelyn AdelmanFishlore VIPMember

The plant in the last picture is water wisteria, not water Sprite. Leave it floating for now, won't do any harm.

Can you post a whole tank shot?

Flourish is very low on macros (NP specifically). It was designed to work in low light tanks with a few plants, on the assumption that most people overstock and overfeed (raising the NP without ferts). It is possible you may need to change to another fert, esp with nitrates that low...

9. OP
    OP
    FireflySky

I don't know why I put in sprite.... I meant wisteria lol. My profile pic is my tank, taken a few weeks ago, but I can get another shot in the morning. My lighting is an Aquaneat full spectrum light.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice