Need some help stocking 33 gallon.

angsess78

I have been pondering a similar list for my 36 gal while it cycles. I can tell you that the electric blue ram needs about 82 degrees and will severely limit other fish you can add to the tank. I have been wavering back and forth between committing to the higher temps and doing a german blue ram setup or doing a lower temp community tank.

My list for the german blue would look like: (electric blues are just a color variation on geman blue)
2 German Blue rams (pair)
8-10 cherry barbs
6-8 sterbai cories
possibly 3 honey gourami, although I am not sure about them at this temp

If I don't do the rams I am debating between some species of apistogramma or gourami as a centerpiece for a community tank.

AndEEss

I hear too many bad stories about gouramis these days. I'd take a long, hard look and do some research before adding them.

angsess78

I hear too many bad stories about gouramis these days. I'd take a long, hard look and do some research before adding them.
That 100% depends on the type of gourami. some are better than others.

MacZ

Ok... Just with these species you could do:
The list:
apistogramma cacatuoides / agassizii
Electric blue ram
dwarf / pearl / honey gourami
cardinal tetra
harlequin rasbora
cherry barb
platy
hillstream loach
gold/green stripe cory
BN pleco

Community options:
- 1 pair of Apistogramma + 10-15 cardinals/harlequins
- 1 male Apistogramma + 10-15 Cories + 10-15 cardinals/harlequins
- 1 pair of rams + 10-15 cardinals
- 1 male ram + 15-20 cardinals
- 3-4 pearl or honey gourami + 10-15 harlequins/cherry barbs
- 1 dwarf gourami and 10-15 harlequins/cherry barbs

Hardwater option:
- 15 Platies

Coldwater/biotope options:
- 15-20 hillstream loaches with river rocks and some current, unheated.
- 15-20 Corydoras + 10-15 cherry barbs, unheated

Sorry, can't make much of the bristlenose. I would probably keep them in a dedicated species tank, but that might be a bit boring.

The cories are not going to work with either dwarf cichlids as a pair (territorial behaviour). Nnd not at all with the rams, as the cories like their water cooler than the rams need it. While we're at it, dwarf cichlids can be very territorial and a good structure in the lower regions of the tank is key.

Cories and cherry barbs can be kept in unheated tanks with usual lowest temp around 20°C, as can be hillstream loaches. Though those prefer not only unheated but also oxygen rich water. So a dedicated biotope with some stronger current would eventually be best for them.

Platies are hardwater fish, while all the others prefer very low KH and GH, aswell as pH. Also, platies can be really a stress factor for more timid species.

Dwarf gourami are best kept as single males, in nature a female (which are in some countries hard to find in stores) would leave after spawning. Keeping more than one male without females would likely need a bigger tank and it should basically be overgrown with plants so the fish can avoid each other. Otherwise dead fish are almost guaranteed.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
ProudPapa
  • Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
DuaneV