Need Some Help, My Shrimp Are Dying And My Plants Don't Seem To Be Thriving :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by skinandbonesx, Apr 10, 2017.

1. skinandbonesx

skinandbonesx Valued Member Member

It's been about 10 days since I've live stocked my small 19L nano tank. I bought 2 zebra snails, 6 shrimp (2 blue crystal and 4 red crystal) and a betta.

Since then I've lost 3 of my shrimp. Betta seems very lively and happy most of the time, and I've had no issue with the snails either besides them falling off from the underside of leaves sometimes so I have to help them flip themselves.

The larger of my shrimp see to be doing fine also, and the ones left have all molted as far as I can tell (from size of the molt)

The first shrimp to go I chalked up to stress since it was shortly after receiving them, but the other two seemed to have had issues with molting. One of my blues seemed to have gotten stuck in a molt and the one I lost today was definitely molting. He was acting erratically yesterday (swimming upside down and unable to right himself) so I separated him, but by the time I went to bed he had looked better (swimming better and able to stay on his legs) so I let him go again. He stared molting today though and unfortunately it looks like one of the other shrimp had started making a meal of him before he was finished and I don't think that helped anything. I separated him again but it was too late by that point :(

I've also been having trouble with my plants looking not as healthy as when I got them. I have a java fern, and two anubis plants, nana and barteri I think. The bateri is showing the worst symptoms, with leaf curling and loss of color. The nana is holding up the best but also starting to show some signs of curling. The java fern came with some brown spots and they have spread a little, the tips of a few of the leaves have also gone dark green, slightly transparent.

My numbers are as follows

ammonia <0.05ppm (the test reads the lowest measurement it can show)
    Nirites <0.025ppm
    Nirates ~1ppm
    ph ~7.5
    KH 3
    GH <4

The only one I'm worried about his my KH and GH. From my understanding from some research shrimp need good KH for their molting and it's possible my plants are also calcium deficient from their symtoms. Should i look into something to raise my KH?

2. andychrissytank

andychrissytank Valued Member Member

Caridina cantonensis, or bee/crystal shrimp require a gH of 7, or about 140 ppm, you have it around 70 ppm
    You can try using a product at the LFS to raise it :]

3. p

purslanegarden Well Known Member Member

Depending on how your plants were when you bought them, they might also go through a period of adjustment. For example, some plants sold in tubes will lose some leaves when the plant is put in water. This is because the leaves were not used to being in water.

4. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

I have also read all shrimp are super sensitive to any ammonia & nitrites. So the trace amounts you have may be contributing? Sorry.

5. -Mak-

-Mak- Well Known Member Member

GH is more important than KH for shrimp. Try around 6 GH.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice