Need some help deciding.. Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish and Invertebrates' started by tunastrack, Nov 26, 2012.

  1. tunastrack

    tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

    Hello :)
    As a lot of you know, I have been battling Camalanus Worms in my Guppy tank. Well I had planned on changing over quite a few of the older babies (3 months old now) to the 30 long. To avoid over crowding. Well then I found the CWs so that had been haulted. However, I also discovered that the 30 gal also has the CWs. So both tanks have to be treated anyway.

    My biggest problem right now is that I can not seem to keep my nitrates under control in the 20 gal. I know this is because the fry are all getting much bigger and my BB can not keep up with them. I am also having ammonia arise here and there. But that will go away with water changes. But as soon as I miss a day it comes back.

    The water parms on my 30 long are perfect, the fish are all fine (for now) so since they also have the CWs, would it hurt for me to go ahead with my orginal plan and transfer some of the older fry? I am about to do the 2nd treatment on the 20 gal. And have been waiting until I decide on the 30 long. the biggest negative I can think of is treating these babies too many times for the CWs. Since the 30 gal is one treatment behind the 20 gal. (Hope Im making sense)...

    So what would you all do? Keep them in the 20 gal? Or go ahead and move some over? I would have some issues when treating for CWs for the 3 days. Because I would not be able to do any water changes etc. And it will be stressful enough to be in the medication for them. Let alone bad water.

    Once I get them all well and happy I was planning to give them away. It is just getting them there first. Any advice greatly appreciated!!!!
  2. Jaysee

    JayseeFishlore LegendMember

    If you are having ammonia issues, then you either need more biomedia or a higher turnover rate of the water. More biomedia means it can handle a higher concentration in one pass through the filter. Higher turnover means a lower concentration of ammonia entering the filter. The problem is that the water exiting the filter has ammonia in it. Working backwards, the solution becomes apparent ;)

    I don't have any experience with the worms.
  3. iZaO Jnr

    iZaO JnrWell Known MemberMember

    As for the filter stuff, jaysee is always too quick on me there :) +1

    As for the worms, i also dont have experience with them and if i have they were gone during any qt period i had before i knew. I would recommend not moving any fish until all signs of the callamanus are gone. Rather safe than sorry. Get your treatments done, and let the tanks settle. If you are worried about the 20 being overstocked until this is done, do as jaysee suggested. I would recommend adding a sponge filter as a temporary measure and just seed it from your 30 gallon seeing as you say that is doing well.

    The added filtration will hold on a very badly overstocked tank for a short while (this i do have experience with).

    Good luck.
  4. jetajockey

    jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

    I've not treated for those worms either, do the meds affect the biofilter?

    I would say that it'd be fine to move them if needed to distribute the fish load a little better, it doesn't really matter if both tanks are being treated anyway.

    You could put a dozen filters in the tank, it's not going to grow the bacteria colony substantially faster unless we've assessed that the current tank biomedia is near capacity. Having ammonia issues alone is not enough cause to come to that conclusion, since an ammonia spike can have a myriad of possible sources.
  5. Jaysee

    JayseeFishlore LegendMember

    I think it's clear that the tank's bioload is exceeding the filters capacity. That's the only way to have excess ammonia in the water. But you are right - if the bacteria colony has been diminished and is being inhibited, then adding more media doesn't fix that problem.
  6. iZaO Jnr

    iZaO JnrWell Known MemberMember

    It does sound like it is a temporary problem however, unless if i misread, in which case i apologize.

    With it being a temporary issue, then like i said a temp solution will be okay.

    The reason i said not to move fish is because the treatment stages of each tank are at different point, so there is still that risk of reintroducing the parasite into the tank which is nearing the end of the treatment stage. I would rather battle filtration issues temporarily than parasites in the tank simply because one has more control over the other.

    As jaysee said though, if the issue of filtration not being adequate in the long run then definitely i would look into a more advanced filtration in both aspects of volume of media and turnover. Again, just to be safe as i always am.
  7. OP

    tunastrackWell Known MemberMember

    This tank already has two filters on it A tetra whisper 30 and a Topfin 30) . When I treated it 3 weeks ago yesterday all of my levels were perfect. However, because of the amount of gravel I took out (stupid mistake) and the amount of fish who died hidden during treatment it cause me to lose my cycle. At least this is what I think happened.

    Now that the fry are getting about the size of adult Endlers, and with the mishap 3 weeks ago, my filters or BB just cant catch up. Which is why I was wondering if bringing some of them over to my 30 gal would be the best choice in a bad situation. It is time to treat them for the worms again and I cant because of the water quality issues.

    So I figured that since I already have fish in the 30 gal with confirmed worms (meaning I can see them protruding from their anal vents) I wouldnt be hurting much by transferring some. They will be starting treatment in the 30 gal by this weekend anyway. I have just been holding off until I decide what is best for everyone.
  8. Jaysee

    JayseeFishlore LegendMember

    If you have the same problem in both tanks, then I don't think it matters if you add some to that tank.

    It's what's inside the filter that makes it effective. Are you just using cartridges, and are you replacing them?
  9. jetajockey

    jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

    I guess more background would help. When did the nitrate and ammonia issues pop up? Normally if the nitrates are difficult to manage then you have an overstocking issue, and adding more biofiltration can help with the ammonia conversion (assuming it was inadequate to begin with, this is quite possible with an undersized HOB filter) but ultimately the long term solution (re: nitrates) is to reduce the bioload or add plants.

    My first go-to with ammonia issues and diseases/ailments is that some sort of treatment is affecting the biofilter.