Need some help/answers

Ace1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a 60 litre tank which I set up about 2 weeks ago. it has a filter, a heater and an air pump among many ornaments and a few plants. After a week of setting it up and allowing it to run I introduced a bunch of fish. The first was a siamese fighter fish which was fine for 2 days. I then decided to add more and went to my local pet store to ask which fish were compatible with it. Following their advice I added in 4 guppies, 3 neon tetras, 2 other tetras, a borneo sucker, some kinda tiger striped fish but its not a barb, some orange fish and a black ghost knife fish. The following day the 3 neons were dead and also a guppy. A day later, which is today, my siamese fighter fish is dead. although there doesn't seem to be any bites on the body, the tail has been nipped a little. Could they have died because of the water or could it be that the black knife fish has attacked them when i'm not around? Your replies and advice are much appreciated, Thank You

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Welcome to FishLore!

I'm so sorry about your fish
It looks like you had a few things going on that could contribute to the deaths.
Fish that are incompatible, wrong size tank and an uncled tank.

Do you know the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?
Here's an article that explains The Nitrogen Cycle

Bettas usually do better on their own with no tank mates (hence the name fighting fish) although it's not always them that's the aggressor.

I don't know much about them but here's some information about the Black Ghost Knife Fish

Not knowing what the striped or orange fish are, it's hard to comment on them.

To start to resolve this would be to research your fish further and get them into the proper size tank with the proper tank mates.

If you can post your water readings, we can go from there.

Good luck

Rhan

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Welcome to Fishlore!

+1 to everything Lucy said.

It seems you have been the victI'm of bad advice unfortunetly, as most of us here have been at one or another (myself included). I now research all my fish on the internet first before buying, as many LFS employees either have very little knowledge, or they know but don't care and are just wanting to make a buck. It's cruel and sneaky - you buy fish, they die off after a while (due to the bad advice), then you come back and buy more fish, until you give up on fish altogether.

There is a lot knowledge to successful fishkeeping, but everyone at fishlore is happy to help out others with advice and suggestions The nitrogen cycle link Lucy posted is imperitive to know, so please read it and understand it

Also, if you could test your water as Lucy requested, we can help you out a lot more with possible causes for your fish deaths. Some LFS/LPS test for free, but it is best to have water tested by a liquid testkit and NOT strips. You can buy your own liquid testkit if you like, there is a highly recommended one made by API called the 'Freshwater Masker Testkit'. It contains all the important tests.

Sorry if I've thrown too much at you too soon, hopefully I've helped a little bit, and with more information from you, be able to help a lot more

Ace1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you Lucy and Rhan for replying. I don't have a test kit yet which is something I should have invested in from the beginning. I will however purchase one today and post the results of the test in a few hours

I found out that the striped fish is a clown loach

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Welcome to fishlore.

When you purchase your test kit, please consider the API master test kit. The strips aren't very accurate, and a liquid test is a much better use of your money. It's more expensive up front, but provides hundreds of tests.

The clown loach is a fish that needs to be in a school and gets to be a foot long. It's extremely unsuitable for your tank, as is the BGK, which can get almost double the length of the clown loach.

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
well all the fish experts like lucy and meenu have already given you the right advice anyway, all I can add is as you already got fish in the tank to buy tetra safe start from your LFS, it might be your best bet to save the fish and get a quick cycle it worked for me and many others .

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Some great advice above, I got bad info from the LFS before, that's how I ended up here

When researching fish, I start with the fishlore.com homepage, there's a link to the fish species down the right hand side of the page, this gives tank sizes required as well as other info you'll be glad you found!

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Tigerfishy said:
Some great advice above, I got bad info from the LFS before, that's how I ended up here

When researching fish, I start with the fishlore.com homepage, there's a link to the fish species down the right hand side of the page, this gives tank sizes required as well as other info you'll be glad you found!
well I'm in luck with my LFS , the guy there is really helpful he seems like a proper expert the ways he explains stuff, like last time I went there I was interested in buying blue rams they were the most expensive fish in the LFS, he adviced me not buy them and told me to wait atleast 2 or more months to put them in the tank because they need a stable tank and my tank is relatively new same way he didnt let me buy clown loaches.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Dee, it's awesome that you have a reliable LFS person! Mine's pretty good too. I still encourage you to always research from multiple sources before purchasing a fish, though; your guy's advice coupled with research on FL and/or other good sites sounds like an awesome combination.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Deeqadri said:
well all the fish experts like lucy and meenu
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but we're just fish keepers like everyone here

Ace1

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I took a trip to my local store and unfortunately they only had the strip water testing things so I'll have to go to another store somewhere else tomorrow to find the proper testers that were mentioned above. I spoke to him about the clown loach and black ghost knife fish he sold me with regards to the size and not being told how big they were going to get and he said that once they get to a size no longer suitable for my tank he'll be willing to accept them back in exchange for any other fish which is good news. Thank You everyone for your replies so far!

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Lucy said:
Thanks for the vote of confidence, but we're just fish keepers like everyone here
I didn't even see that. I agree, Dee. Heck, I've only been serious about the hobby since October. We just offer our opinions like everyone else on the site. Best thing about FL is that we're all equals here.

That's awesome that he'll take the unsuitable fish back. I would ask him to go ahead and do so, and stock from the beginning with fish that are suitable for your tank.

sirdarksol

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Deeqadri said:
well all the fish experts like lucy and meenu have already given you the right advice anyway, all I can add is as you already got fish in the tank to buy tetra safe start from your LFS, it might be your best bet to save the fish and get a quick cycle it worked for me and many others .
While there are people here who have a ton of experience, none of us is truly an expert. In his "about Fishlore" page, Mike states that this was the issue that caused him to create Fishlore. On the forums he took part in before Fishlore, there would be a handful of "experts" (usually self-described) whose word was taken as law. That type of community fosters stagnation.
In Fishlore, everyone has a voice. Of course, new ideas are always looked on with skepticism, but that's just an aspect of human nature.
The reason that everyone has a voice is that no one person can be right all the time, even within a narrow specialty of a hobby.

I joined the Minnesota Aquarium Society this year. Since then, I've had a chance to talk with people who have more experience than 99% of Fishlore's members. These are people who make a living collecting, breeding, selling, and researching aquarium fish. Still, every one of them said something that was extremely questionable. One, who had been breeding and researching rainbowfish for decades, believes that water changes only need to be done every couple of months, and anything less than a 90% water change is a waste of time. Another talked about methylene blue being effective against fungal infections because it dimmed the light that the fungus needed (the substance is actually an anti-fungal.)

My point is that no one person, or two people, or five people, or even thousand people, know everything there is to know about the hobby, or even one little aspect of the hobby. Lucy is often turned to when it comes to ADFs, because she has a good amount of experience with them. However, she will be the first to tell you that she is no expert.

Periodically, the forum will begin to forget all of this, and start saying things such as "You should listen to SDS, because he's a mod, and knows the most," or "Butterfly knows the most about plants, and you should take her advice above all others'." This is counterproductive. We might as well turn Fishlore into a collection of websites with individual specialties, that the mods and the various other "experts" in specific topics can spread our ideas that way. ;D

Now, I'm not picking on you here. Rather, this is a topic that I try to bring up at least once a year, to remind all of us, both old and new, that everyone has a voice here, and your post gave me the perfect opportunity. This is not to say that every idea is right. Just that every person has a right to express their opinion, to have it discussed and weighed.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks for the reminder SDS, this can get overlooked sometimes!!
I agree with meenu, pair the advice from your LFS with your own research and you'l be in good stead.
Having said that, I do not personally agree with the theory of "when the fish get too big for the tank". If the fish are not suitable for the tank, the minute you discover this is when they should be removed, to prevent any stress or damage to the fish in a tank that is too small. I can understand you not knowing this at first, it has happened so often that we cannot blame you at all. But I would get rid before they get the chance to grow too big. Just my :

Deeqadri

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@ menu,lucy,sirdarksol,Tigerfishy
you are all being very modest now, since ive been a member of this forum all of you have been great help in this learning process, so u guys deserve some credit

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads