Need Some Advice Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Beginners' started by CaptainAquatics, Aug 12, 2019.

1. CaptainAquatics

CaptainAquaticsWell Known MemberMember

Hi! So I have been keeping fish for 3 years, however I have never done a saltwater tank, however I know much is the same just a different process. I know it will need to cycle and I will have to do water changes, I’m just a complete noob to most things saltwater so I have some questions.
    1. I am hoping to make my 32 gallon biocube aquarium saltwater in a little bit and I have a few ideas. Biocube don’t need wave makers right? They are built for saltwater I know that but what advise do you have. What stuff will I need to get for it?
    2. I REALLY want to make it a FOWLR tank and I want to have a fuzzy dwarf lionfish in there and maybe a saddled Valentini puffer, would that work?
    3. Any other general advise?

EDIT: Also I would really like a starfish? Any that would work with them?

EDIT AGAIN: I also think arrow crabs are cool....

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
  2. Thedudeiam94

Thedudeiam94Well Known MemberMember

Following along because I’m working toward a 20 gal long sw also! But If im not mistaken those fish would need a larger tank such as 50 gal+

3. e_watson09

e_watson09Well Known MemberMember

The biggest thing with saltwater is bigger is easier. Those fish you posted need larger tanks and the puffer will not do well with inverts. (Trust me learned that the hard way when my puffer ate a invert through a bag I was floating in the tank)

A big issue you'll run into is a fuzzy dwarf lion probably could go in that tank but that's probably all you could have. Anything small enough for that size tank would get eaten by him, anything too large to eat would be too big for the tank. Saltwater fish need a LOT more space than freshwater

I also wanted to add, in tanks about that size people commonly keep a reef style set up with inverts and maybe a pair of clownfish. Maybe another micro fish or so.

4. OP
    OP
    CaptainAquatics

Ok, so just the lionfish? Could I have a starfish with him?

5. e_watson09

I believe you could, as long as it won't fit in his mouth. They swallow their prey whole so small fish and shrimp are their targets.

6. OP
    OP
    CaptainAquatics

Any recommendations on cool starfish, also would a arrow crab be a possibility.

7. e_watson09

I'd avoid the arrow crab, I think the tank is too small personally. They're really active little things. As far as starfish you have a lot of options. I guess it really depends on what you want. I always loved chocolate chip star fish but could never have them because they weren't reef safe. So in this situation that would likely be my choice since they're easier to come by.

I also always love linkias (spelled it wrong sorry) they're super bright and colorful and are usually on the glass. Downside is they are really sensitive to oils in your skin and such so you do not want to touch them at all and wash your hands well before putting them in the tank. They're just a little more sensitive than others in my experience.

I've had quite a few star fish over the years. They're all cool in their own ways. Just depends on what you have going on in the tank. You can also probably do a couple snails in the tank since you're not getting a puffer or trigger. That can help as a clean up crew. Any shrimp or crabs may get eaten.

8. OP
    OP
    CaptainAquatics

How many chocolate chip stars could I have in my tank? Also, any other cool predator fish that could replace the lionfish? Any small groupers or something. I want it to be an eye catcher. Just playing with ideas (and please keep it under 50$)

EDIT: reading on it I’ll only get one, could I get a red brittle starfish? So the stocking would be lionfish, chocolate chip star, brittle star?

9. e_watson09

The only brittle star fish I ever purposely had was massive so I wouldn't put them in that size tank. I'd just do the lion, 1 choc chip star and a couple snails and call it a day.

10. OP
    OP
    CaptainAquatics

ok

11. Jesterrace

JesterraceWell Known MemberMember

A fuzzy dwarf lion gets too big for a Biocube. They need a tank at least 4 feet long for the long term. You might be able to get a Fu Manchu Dwarf Lion to work in there as the only fish:

https://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=15+36+231&pcatid=231

You will need a powerhead even with the Biocube setup.

I also suggest taking a look at this as it will help you avoid a number of common newbie mistakes: