Need Some Advice

1. ilovefishys17 Member Member

Hi, I'm looking for some advice on doing a fish room. I've Been in the hobby for a while, and want to start a fish room. Hopefully you fish keepers can help.
  2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

What do you need help with?

3. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

First thing is first you need your significant other to sign off on this...
  4. KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

He's 14 lol...pretty sure he need parental approval first :p

5. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

You would first need to decide where such fish room would be. Then make sure that your floor can take the weight of multiple tanks. Even a 10 gallon can be close to 100lbs. So a ground level room would probably be the best. Something that has good support. This is why you are so many in basements. Cement foundation can hold the weight of all that water.

Once you decide where, then you can decide what. You will need to decide how big of tanks and how many you want. But you can't do any of that without first deciding the where.
  6. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

First things need to ask your parents first. The water bill, the cost to buy fish, electricity and space will be a huge factor to this decision. As well as the equipment!

Also your school work will come first.
  7. sfsamm Well Known Member Member

My advice, come up with a plan starting from the basics. Decide how much you want to spend. Design a layout in your chosen ground floor or basement room. Then price and obtain shelving rated for the number of tanks you want or look into building them yourself. You'd probably do this most efficiently if you have an idea of what stock you'd like to keep. A fish room is an investment, a lot of work and takes time to come together. Have a good plan in place before you start it! :)

8. ilovefishys17 Member Member

I would do it in my basement. I want to house cichlids again, discus, some saltwater, nanos, angles.
  9. Rover Initiate Member

You'd need to consider the natural lightly. Electrical loads and having additional outlets. Tank size, infrastructure to hold them, if its not a first floor room you'd need to consider the engineering of your house depending on how serious the 'fish room' is. No putting a 2000 gallon tank on the second floor!
  10. KinsKicks Fishlore VIP Member

Also plumbing! You can do yourself a favor and set a whole plumbing system so it drains and fills itself, or you're condemned to do individual/manuel water changes (if you're ever curious about what that's like...Rachel OLeary on YouTube has to do this in her fish room). It sounds like you want a really big set up, so I'd do a lot of researching into this as wel :)