Need some advice on using Catappa leaves

coolio3991

Hello so I have 3 tanks all my tanks ph is 6.6, and I want to use Indian almond leaves in all my tanks.

In my 10g tank I have a betta with 3 dwarf crawfish, in my 1.5g tank I have about 15 young neocaradena shrimp and a black molle fry.

And in my 20g tank I have 2 black mollies, 4 ember tetras, 6 neon tetras, and 5 zebra danios, about 15 neocaradena shrimp and 7 rams horn snails. which tanks is it safe to do the black water with. And what products would you suggest?
I'm thinking of buying cattapa leaves and extracting the tannins my self and dosing about a tbsp per 10g or just putting the leaves in the tank directly. but I'm also thinking about getting fritz black water.

EdieBadedie

The leaves are going to lower your ph slightly, so keep that in mind. Bettas do well in blackwater, but the shrimp might not like it as much. Generally, catappa leaves aren't going to drastically change the ph though, and it will fluctuate back up if you don't keep adding more. I say just the leaves would be fine. They release quite a bit of tannins.

Upvote 0

ValkyrieLips

I personally use rooibos tea maybe like 1/4 - 1/3 cup brewed because I like darker water. It's cheap and easy to brew a big batch to keep in the fridge for WCs.

The tannins would be safe in all your tanks, and the shrimp would probably love the leaves. Also, unless you have very low gH and kH it won't alter your pH much if at all. :)

Upvote 0

coolio3991

I personally use rooibos tea maybe like 1/4 - 1/3 cup brewed because I like darker water. It's cheap and easy to brew a big batch to keep in the fridge for WCs.

The tannins would be safe in all your tanks, and the shrimp would probably love the leaves. Also, unless you have very low gH and kH it won't alter your pH much if at all. :)
I will check my gh and kh. AMD do a good test of it. I tested it recently and gh was 4 drops amd kh was 2 drops. My ph doesnt change like at all. I use amazonia v2 amd it doesnt lower my ph anymore. It used to drop to 5.5 but not any more it stays at 6.6. I do daily water changes but when my tank is fully cycled that would change. So ph could drop after a week of no water changes.
The leaves are going to lower your ph slightly, so keep that in mind. Bettas do well in blackwater, but the shrimp might not like it as much. Generally, catappa leaves aren't going to drastically change the ph though, and it will fluctuate back up if you don't keep adding more. I say just the leaves would be fine. They release quite a bit of tannins.
I was thinking of boiling the leaves then letting them sit for a day or 2 in water to get the majority of the tannins out. Then add them to my tanks but pour the water with tannins in the 10g but a small amount every water change

Upvote 0

ValkyrieLips

I will check my gh and kh. AMD do a good test of it. I tested it recently and gh was 4 drops amd kh was 2 drops. My ph doesnt change like at all. I use amazonia v2 amd it doesnt lower my ph anymore. It used to drop to 5.5 but not any more it stays at 6.6. I do daily water changes but when my tank is fully cycled that would change. So ph could drop after a week of no water changes.

My water is a lot harder, 8 gH 6 kH so my pH doesn't budge ever. In your case IALs may slightly lower your pH.

You have perfect water for a blackwater tank I'm jealous.

Upvote 0

coolio3991

My water is a lot harder, 8 gH 6 kH so my pH doesn't budge ever. In your case IALs may slightly lower your pH.

You have perfect water for a blackwater tank I'm jealous.
Hey have you used, shrimp mineral rocks. if you have any shrimp do they like them.

Upvote 0

ValkyrieLips

Hey have you used, shrimp mineral rocks. if you have any shrimp do they like them.

Hey, unfortunately no I don't have shrimp and haven't used that product.

Upvote 0

Dobert

I was thinking of boiling the leaves then letting them sit for a day or 2 in water to get the majority of the tannins out. Then add them to my tanks but pour the water with tannins in the 10g but a small amount every water change

this is how I seen them being used. And then you can skip Fritz black water ofc

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
coolio3991
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
Sb092