55 Gallon Tank Need some advice on cycling

fishdude5000

2 days ago on saturday i setup my 55 gallon tank.
I put a sponge filter that wasnt cycled yet i put a marineland penguine filter that was cycled and i put a tetra internal whisper filter that was cycled and the filter that came with the tank that was partly cycled too.
I also have these bio cubes that have alot of bb from my previous tank too and i was wondering how long will it take for the 55 to cycle with all this filtration?
i also got some serpae tetras in the tank too only 3

Bwood22

3 Serpaes in a 55 gallon.....its gonna be awhile before you see any movement at all. Since those guys don't produce a lot of waste there's not going to be much to see. But that can be a good thing really.

If it were me. Id feed them and test the water every few days to see what's happening, but i don't forsee anything catastrophic happening in that tank with all that cycled media and 3 tetras.

Im sure others will have their opinions but mine is to kick back on the couch and enjoy your fish in this situation.

jdhef

So long as you used "seeded" filter media, then your tank should be cycled. The only thing is that you don't really know how large your bacteria colony is, and what bioload it can support.

So test your water to make sure ammonia and nitroite are staying a 0ppm. Then start slowly stocking the tank with more fish. Maybe add two additional fish, and then keep an eye on the ammonia and nitrite for 10-14 days. If it is staying at 0ppm, add a couple more, etc...repeat until fully stocked.

FishareFriends6

There isn’t like a determined cycle duration… it depends on every stage of the cycle having sufficient resources to encourage growth of bb.

If you have already cycled media then just use that? The tank will take a while for the bacteria to establish in the substrate. If your supply of waste from fish is low then it has the same effect as quantity of bb.

3 fish in a 55 gallon is basically nothing.

I cycle with Amazonia, which contains ammonia to boost the initial cycle.

Bwood22

There isn’t like a determined cycle duration… it depends on every stage of the cycle having sufficient resources to encourage growth of bb.

If you have already cycled media then just use that? The tank will take a while for the bacteria to establish in the substrate. If your supply of waste from fish is low then it has the same effect as quantity of bb.

3 fish in a 55 gallon is basically nothing.

I cycle with Amazonia, which contains ammonia to boost the initial cycle.
Not really a set duration....no. there's too many variables.
And you hit the nail on the head regarding "sufficient resources".

But bruh.....3 Serpaes.

Like jdhef said, just slowly stock, and test test test. Slowly but surely, it will happen. It might already be done.

ProudPapa

I'd go ahead and add another dozen or so serpae tetras.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Orion0220
Replies
Views
Sokamix
Replies
Views
Craig_84
  • Question