need some advice on a rescuded pleco

1. Spectralflux Initiate Member

so yesterday after a long time nabore moved away he left 2 fish in his out door pond a large koi witch i re-homed to my best friends pond but he said he would not take the pleco that was in the pond as well so brought it home and put it in my 20 gallon tank for now it is probably 7 it is a sailfin pleco i believe and it is in a tank with my 10 platys attached is a pictures of it sorry not the best quality

as i have never really kept plecos my questions are as fallowed
    1.) how much space dose it need tank wise
    2.) why are my platys kinda of avoiding it
    3.) is there any hiding places it will need
    4.) should i feed it any thing extra

thank you in advance for your help

Attached Files:

2. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Good job the rescue! I can't believe people can just move away and leave their pets to fend for themselves :/ You'll need a 100 gallons or more too keep one of these happy. They grow to be a couple feet long, and are major poop machines. The Platies are probably afraid of its size. Big fish eat little fish, they know it ;) He'll appreciate some think long and low to the ground he can hide in, like a PVC pipe. Algae wafers, and fresh veggies should make up the bulk of his diet.

3. Spectralflux Initiate Member

as right now i financially and space wise i can not get that bigg or much bigger then i have now for a tank will he do okay in the 20 gallon i have him in now or should i start trying to re-home him and will the platys eventually start to fear him less?

and as far as rescuing him i could not just leave them there to die lol i had to do something

4. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

If you're ok with daily water changes to keep up with the poop factory he'll be making in there, you'll be alright for a month or so, I'd think. If space isn't too much of a factor, check out Craigslist.org, and even freecycle.org. You can score big on full tank set ups all the time. Judging by his size, a 75, or even a 55, would be good for a while.

Yeah, eventually they'll realize he's not actually a threat lol

We all would have, or at least, I know *I* would have :)