Need Some Advice/help- Tank Crashing, Disease?

SugeDay

Reaction score
So I don't know if my tank is crashing or what is going on. About 8 - 10 months ago I saw 3 German blue rams (I think that's what they are called) at Petco (yes I am dumb) and I was like well I'm going to end their suffering and take them outta their, so I did. Noticed during the way out the new girl saying, "one looked like it had ick" and the guy was like, "no that's not ick it will be fine". So when I got the home I noticed one had a odd thick white line at the bottom of its tail fin. Added the fish and treated them for ick just to be safe, but it didn't look like ick. After a couple of months that white line doesn't go away so I'm like I guess I got a messed up fish.

Then out of nowhere with nothing else added I noticed a white T shape thing sticking out of a boesemanI rainbow fish. Come to find out it's anchorworm. So that's a pain in the ass that I've been trying to treat with API general cure, added aquarium salt to the tank, clear water, super ick, melafix, microbe-lift for pond fish, cyropro, and prazipro. Used at separate times trying one after another following the directions on the back. None have worked to stop the anchorworm. I've even taken the fish out and pulled the worms off. I've lost about 10 fish during this time because of the worms.

Somehow the worms only show up once every 2 or 3 weeks now and my siamese algae eater has developed twice that fungus that eats a hole in them and treated it both times. And he looks fine now, but my last 2 rams look like they are growing fungus on them now and my long fin place had formed a white dot looks like a zit not ick. And my Dojo's seem to be floating or just wedging themselves in spots and just sit in one spot.

I've been doing a 25-30% water change every week since I've been running this 55 gal (about 2 or 3 years now). Recently to help get rid of the worms I've been doing about a 60-70% water change. I'm down to 7 fish in this tank because I'm not going to put anymore fish through those worms.

Not sure if this makes any difference but I added some ram horm snails for the dojos to snack on which they didn't. They exploded in my tank and are eating up my plants. So I have gotten assassin snails that are breeding because I see lots of small ones. And I've been dropping in zucchinI in the tank and scooping up the snails that way too. So I have lots of empty snail shells, I don't know if it affects anything?

So after all of this any help would be greatly appreciated to save my last couple of fish.

OP
S

SugeDay

Reaction score
The substrate I use is ecocomplete, I have a nice size real wood that was boiled before I put it in the tank and there's one fake log tunnel thing.

As for plants I have all live plants: a couple that I know the names of are a tiger lotus, Amazon sword, then there's a small looking Amazon sword kinda plant, this tall grass stuff and some plant that grows kinda like grass just with wider leaves and it flowers.

As for the filter I've run it a whole year without problems or cleaning. I have probably 3 or 4 extra pads in the canister. I think it's a ehime 100 or something like that, I have a air stone and a "wave" machine (just a pump to help push water through my heater) on opposite sides of the tank.

OP
S

SugeDay

Reaction score
AvalancheDave said:
Did you try KMNO4?
Have not tried it, but am willing to try anything to get rid of anchor worms

New Threads