Need Some Advice For My Oscars

How do I transfer my Oscars from a high nitrate tank to a used bought tank?

• Do I put old water to new? How much?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Should I use a net or a Tshirt?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

SamanthasOscars

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have had my Oscars for over seven years and I recently noticed them acting weird two weeks ago and I thought one just had a boo boo due to jumping out of the water and hitting his head on the cover but then my other Oscar started getting it and it was HITH so I treated it wish fish medicine tea tree oil and it worked so well. I'm now experiencing very high nitrate levels and I am doing 25 to 35 percent weekly water changes. I also got live plants and I changed my filter to a canister filter. I now purchased a new bigger tank for the Oscars and I don't want to put them in new water with low nitrates rapidly because I heard it causes shock after them living in high nitrates for however long. Should I put some old water into the tank. It is not a new tank. I bought it used and I'm picking it up within hours. Should I let the tank sit for 24 hours without fish? I will be using old and new filter as well as transferring decorations. But I haven't found any research on transferring fish from high nitrate waters to a new used tank. I know Oscars are hardy I just want to do it the right way.

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
How high are the nitrates in the old tank? What sizes are the old and new tanks? How big are the Oscars?

OP
SamanthasOscars

SamanthasOscars

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
They are very high above 100 I'm a little embarrased. I'm doing everything I can and the steps that I have done have made a difference. The tank is 50gallons or something a little bigger upgrading to a hundred gallons. I want bigger but they are just too pricey new and used. I don't know how big they are in inches. They are huge. I will figure out how to upload a picture. I'm not a blogger type at all but I need help on this..

AvalancheDave

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm pretty sure nitrate shock is a myth but temperature shock and salinity (aka osmotic) shock are real.

When moving fish to another tank, I just fill the new tank with as much water as possible from the old tank and move the fish over. Then I finish filling the new tank as I would do during a water change (gradually and with pre-heated water).

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would fill the new tank with new water and do a series of 50% water changes back to back on the old one while you let the new tank sit overnight filled just to test it doesn't leak and the equipment works. Then when your nitrates are down significantly you can move them over.

OP
SamanthasOscars

SamanthasOscars

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you for you input. Would you let the water set for 24 hours before putting them in there? Its hard because I want the tank in the same exact spot the old one is. So it's a little tricky. I've done it before for my plecostomus but the water was normal and I just set up another tank in the house.

I've noticed the nitrates haven't even lowered. I did like a 75 percent water change to get the tea tree oil out not knowing that the nitrates were high. Then they acted weird so I got it tested and the I have done one 25 percent and I bought the new fluval filter. So I feel like it would take weeks to get nitrates down. But I guess not if I do water changes multiple times in a night now nitrate shock can be a myth. Ill find out. Hopefully the fluval is helping as well as it is filtering much more water than my cheap filter.

I know there will be different opinions
I appreciate your responses and I will report back with the method that I decide to go for and how it went

Aquaphobia

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Whether the symptoms that come from doing too large a water change are from dropping the nitrates too quickly or the TDS doesn't really matter. The point is that a neglected tank needs to have the parameters altered slowly so as not to shock the fish because it can and does kill them.

Your new filter is great but it's the nature of the nitrogen cycle to make more nitrates. Nitrates are the end product of the cycle and they will continue to increase until you remove them. If you don't do large enough or frequent enough water changes or if you are one of those unlucky people who has nitrates in the tap water then it's going to take extra effort and possibly special filtration to lower them.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I also believe nitrate shock to be a myth.

New Threads