Need Shark Aquarium Information (for writing purposes)

fishy5

Hi!

So, I'm thinking about writing a short story about a family who has a shark tank. I need to know the following:

-What saltwater sharks are most safely and commonly kept in home aquariums? What size of tank is needed and what would be the approx. dimensions?

-Are Port Jackson sharks possible? What size of tank is needed and what would be the approx. dimensions?

-What is fed to home aquarium sharks?

-On average, how much equipment is needed for a shark tank? Is it so much that it requires a small control/life support room, or so little that it could fit in a cabinet behind the tank?

-How much time is devoted to a shark tank?

Also, can any current or previous shark owners give me some examples of their experience (i.e. troubles they ran into, how much feeding costs, how much equipment was needed)?

Thanks! I know some of the questions are a little sketchy and/or hard to answer because it depends on the type of shark and how much room is in the house, etc. I'm going to try to base the family off and around the answers I get from you guys.

Thanks so much!

Reel lady fishing

Well, it depends the size of the family's tank. I've had 10 upwards saltwater aquarium sharks in tanks of all shapes and sizes. I would say the black bandit catfish shark is popular, and there are many other species that go in aquariums. All depends on the size of the aquarium you want to write about.

fishy5

Well, it depends the size of the family's tank. I've had 10 upwards saltwater aquarium sharks in tanks of all shapes and sizes. I would say the black bandit catfish shark is popular, and there are many other species that go in aquariums. All depends on the size of the aquarium you want to write about.

Big for sure. 3000+ gallons.

Reel lady fishing

Big for sure. 3000+ gallons.

Oh absolutely, no doubt. But, I will say that dependent on how many you would like, the tank does not need to be that big.

fishy5

Oh absolutely, no doubt. But, I will say that dependent on how many you would like, the tank does not need to be that big.

Ok. Would 3 black bandits be reasonable? And do you have any experience with Port Jackson sharks?

Reel lady fishing

Ok. Would 3 black bandits be reasonable? And do you have any experience with Port Jackson sharks?

Indeed I do. What would you like to know

fishy5

Indeed I do. What would you like to know

-how big do they get?
-What do they eat and do they eat often?
-Could 2 be kept in a 3000, or would it need to be more on the edge of 6000?
-Would they be friendly/interactive with their owner once they get to know them? Or not?
-Are they easily provoked to bite?

Thank you so much!

Reel lady fishing

-how big do they get?
-What do they eat and do they eat often?
-Could 2 be kept in a 3000, or would it need to be more on the edge of 6000?
-Would they be friendly/interactive with their owner once they get to know them? Or not?
-Are they easily provoked to bite?

Thank you so much!

Well, this bottom dwelling reef shark will eat almost anything any other normal sharks would eat. (Shrimps, crabs)Although they do have some preferences, they mainly dine on the same types of food. I have seen these species get up to 6ft but, that was one kept in the cleanest and healthiest tank I've ever seen. Generally, 3-4-5-6 feet on average. And yes, if provoked, they will bite even if you are their owner. I would say 1 per 1500 gallons. Is that all you needed to know?

fishy5

Well, this bottom dwelling reef shark will eat almost anything any other normal sharks would eat. (Shrimps, crabs)Although they do have some preferences, they mainly dine on the same types of food. I have seen these species get up to 6ft but, that was one kept in the cleanest and healthiest tank I've ever seen. Generally, 3-4-5-6 feet on average. And yes, if provoked, they will bite even if you are their owner. I would say 1 per 1500 gallons. Is that all you needed to know?

Yes! Thank you so much!

Reel lady fishing

Yes! Thank you so much!

Any time. Anything else you would like to know about?

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Penguin225
  • Question
Replies
Views
Kribensis27
Replies
Views
Madeline Peterson
  • Question