Need recommendations on small adjustable 150w heater

peddidle

My 20-gallon came with a preset 100w heater that holds the water at about 75. I believe the heater is supposed to be preset at 78, so the job is too big for the heater. (Not just that, but I want to be able to adjust the temperature.)

I purchased a 100w Marina heater off Amazon, not realizing it was the same wattage, though it's at least adjustable. It was listed as being 8.5 inches in length but is actually 11 inches, which is longer than I'm wanting (I *think* I could get it to fit but would not be able to use the heater clip on the Tidal 55 filter and might have to push some of my substrate aside to make sure the heater had good clearance). The 150w, which is probably the one I actually need, is also 11 inches. (Our house is 64 at night during winter, so that's why I figure I need a 150w even though 100w seems fairly standard for a 20-gallon tank.)

I'm having a hard time finding a suitable adjustable heater that also has decent reliable reviews. The problem with the reviews is that many people (on Amazon) seem to review the product pretty much the day they take it out of the box, so many reviews are good but based on pretty much nothing. The bad reviews, of course, are from people who didn't review the product until something went wrong. In other words, short-term reviews make just about every heater look great and long-term reviews make just about every heater look bad, haha.

I've searched the forum, but many posts are about models that are no longer current. So I'm looking for suggestions/recommendations, hopefully from those who have a heater that is less than a year old, is 150w (or is 100w but has done well in a house with a night temperature that drops to 15 or so degrees less than the desired water temperature), and would fit well in a 20-gallon tank (less than 11 inches).

ETA: Some of the bad reviews are super scary, like cooking the fish or producing a bunch of rust. Are heaters really that unreliable??

david1978

Heaters are reliable for the most part. I think I have a lineba heater. Digital with low water shut off. You have to take reviews with a grain of salt. They probably sell thousands of a particular heater but due to neglect or dry out or just abuse it sticks on. They will plaster that review all over internet. So the failure rate is probably in the 2 in every thousand range.

kallililly1973

Get an 200W Aqueon pro submersible you’ll b able to get your tank to where ever you need it much easier and if space is an issue you can lay them horizontally with the temp adjust end a bit higher than the other end.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • Zonotrichia
  • Heater
Replies
Views
RayClem
  • Question
  • Chalupacabra
  • Heater
Replies
Views