Need recommendations for a placid breed

1. Everythingzen Well Known Member Member

Our next dog must be gentle. It's crucial. We had problems with a staffy X in the past, and I just couldn't own another. It would hurt too much. They're a wonderful dog, but I miss my Archie too much. Any staffy, boxer, ridgeback mix would remind me too much of him. Hub doesn't want a large breed, and I don't think a toy or small would fit in with all the kids, cats and other dog we have (English cocker). All my loved breeds are larger. So what's medium sized, gentle, good with people, and not going to need a 10km walk each day just to sit still?

2. LockedBox Member Member

I hear that english bulldogs are gentle, but the person who told me that has a 12 year old dog so that might not be the best example.

I know for a fact, however, that the Bernese mountain dog is an excellent family dog! They are intelligent, friendly, suitable to be kept indoors and unusually quiet. They are a bit big, and hairy, but by all accounts they are very good pets both indoors and out doors due to their stable, placid nature and patience. They do take a while to grow up though.

3. Abalisa Member Member

I would cruise the shelters and rescue places. Every breed you dont want is what i would recommend, especially boxers for kids. You could check in to adopting a rescued/retired greyhound, they arent huge and i hear they just like to lay around and be cuddled. Bulldogs are sweet, but the most stubborn breed i have seen personally. Of course they all have different personalities so not all of them will be like that! The smartest dog i ever had was a boxer, its been years & i still think of all my dogs that have passed almost daily. Maybe you should wait for a bit if a similar breed still hurts too much. I sure wish they lived as long as we do.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

4. sirdarksol Fishlore Legend Member

Dogs are individuals. If you buy a puppy, you can get recommendations, but there's no way to guarantee what the dog is going to be like. My parents have had two cocker spaniels. One was pretty laid back. He liked to lay around all day, was rather indifferent to his people, and didn't get particularly enthusiastic about walk time. The other is the exact opposite. He is a bundle of energy, adores his family, and always wants to go for walks.

The best way to know what you're getting, temperament-wise, is to adopt a dog that's old enough to have a history. Any good adoption group will allow you to bring the dog home to see if there are any immediate problems (like if the dog is a cat-chaser or just despises other dogs).

That being said, springer spaniels tend to be pretty laid back, and are a moderate-sized dog. I've met three of them, and while they all enjoyed their walks and were pretty energetic about them, they would generally just lounge around while at home.

5. Dlondon95 Well Known Member Member

I work at a dog shelter over the summer and from what I've seen, Bassett hounds and Sharpei's (spelling?) seem to be pretty laid back. We had several of them come through and they were the most laid back dogs at the shelter.

I can say from personal experience that jack russels aren't too bad. I've had one for about 8 years now. When he was younger, he loved to run around, but it wasn't too much to handle.

I can also say that Labs are a big no no! I have a 7 week old chocolate lab and she is a big trouble maker. She needs 24/7 supervision.

Hope this helps!

6. Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

7. Donnerjay Well Known Member Member

Agree on the Corgi. I had a Corgi mix with a beagle that was smart, lowkey, and easy to train. Strongly recommended!

8. iron883 Initiate Member

i have two st bernards one is 240 pounds and is the sweetest dog i have ever seen,they love people,very lazy dogs so they dont eat much,only draw back is their life span is only 8-13 yrs if yr lucky

9. Kailyn Member Member

When you do find a dog you like, introduce it to your dog on neutral ground. Your home is your dog territory and may feel threatened by the addition to the family. If the dogs do not get along away from home they won't get along at home.

10. Everythingzen Well Known Member Member

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. We've somehow ended up with a little (and I mean minuscule!) Pomeranian pup. She is a breed I have never, ever, considered, so it's been a bit of a learning experience. She's a sweet little dog, and so far very well behaved. So well behaved that I am kinda waiting for the bubble to burst and the evil destructo puppy to emerge! She's totally non houstrained but I'm hoping that will change over the next few weeks. She's only 10 weeks old today and gets very tired and a little timid still with some new things. I have to remember that the world is gigantic to her, lol. Still, she's ok with people, the vacuum cleaner, random dogs, cats, and my kids. Her and my other dog are a little issue. She is totally oblivious to the older dog being annoyed. The pup loves to chase and dance around her and the older dog gets growly, but constantly wagging her tail as she growls. Not sure why she does it. She also never nips or bites. She just keeps moving on until the pup stops following. We are all constantly using a stern "no", and pushing them apart when they do it but so far they are refusing to stop. Hopefully they'll stop this soon!