Important Need quick help Sexing Jack Dempsey

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
looks fem to me...I can't go by dorsal I go by gill plate and overall body color...but a stressed fish can lack both

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm assuming this is one you want to take home asap? either way, adding some more territorial spots and hiding spots is a must ....but again I can't give a percent as she could very well be a stressed male...what size is it? fems don't usually go over 5-7 inches ..at least from my experience...I would hate for something to happen to either of your fish if I'm wrong ...sorry rattliffc!

OP
Rattliffc12

Rattliffc12

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yea I went out last night and spend a ton on stuff. I got more pots, Plants, and PVC.

OP
Rattliffc12

Rattliffc12

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
here is the stuff I bought, I do not mean to come off as rushed to just get a fish, but I have been all over town aswell as in indiana looking and calling to see if anyone has a female JD of good size. This one was the ONLY candidate.

Attachments

OP
Rattliffc12

Rattliffc12

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
No I have not got the new fish yet I wanted to run it by you on what you thought the sex was.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
again it does look like a fem to me....but without standing there seeing her for myself, I can't garuntee that it could be a stressed male like I said...but her marking are allot like my mama jd...

Charlene

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry Shawnie but my bf has kept Jacks for nearly 7 years, he has male and female including a breeding pair, I have shown him the pics and the video and he's 99% sure that this is a stressed male. I'll post some good pics of male and female where you can clearly see the difference in gill plates.

Female
229.jpg

Male
230.jpg

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Charlene said:
Sorry Shawnie but my bf has kept Jacks for nearly 7 years, he has male and female including a breeding pair, I have shown him the pics and the video and he's 99% sure that this is a stressed male. I'll post some good pics of male and female where you can clearly see the difference in gill plates.

Female
229.jpg

Male
230.jpg
I have also and I still think its a fem...

Charlene

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Sorry but the gill plates and the head shape make us strongly disagree with you.

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Charlene said:
Sorry but the gill plates and the head shape make us strongly disagree with you.
each pair are going to look different ....heres my male/fem and MOST have said they are both males as many fems don't have the colors as bright on their bodies....after hundreds of fry, they aren't trust me ....I have babies galore that will be going to new homes soon! you can't just trust the gill plate..you have to judge by the overall body colors and size as well but everyone can agree to disagree

DSC01571.jpg

Charlene

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Shawnie, I can easily tell that yours are male and female, the one in the foreground is the male and the one in the background is the female, he has a bump on his head and she as the more striking gill plates just like my bf's. Still think the fish pictured at the top is a male, sorry.

btate617

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I had to guees I would say male.

Rattliffc12, do a google search on venting fish. That would be your best chance to know for sure.

Brian

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I agree venting is the sure fire way
heres a link with the fish in his tank ..

New Threads