Not open for further replies.

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Is she fine??

Hey All,

Couple of my bettas have been acting strange recently. Let me explain Betta by Betta:

1) Comet:
He is a Blue-Red Veiltail Betta I have been having since 5 months. He is very active, very vibrant and always runs to the main glass when he sees me and dances. But since a week, he has been acting strange. He is not able swim so easily or is moving around much, mostly laying down at the bottom of his tank or on the leaves he had in his tank. He is eating well, but a bit slowly when compared to previous. Is he aged out?? Coz, he looks big to me, his color is fading out, his tail as well, is diminishing and fading out(very little thought) and is around 2.5 inches as of now.

2) Betta gal 1:
She is a veiltail(i believe) opaque with some lavender coloring on her body and tail. I have had her since 3 months. Brought her when she was very small, probably 2 months or 3 months. She has a voracious appetite. But now she is swimming slowly, and is not able to identify the food atleast(which never happened earlier). She is eating only when she come up for air and feels that there is food near to her.. So, did she go blind?? Can such a thing happen all of a sudden?

3) Betta gal 2:
She is a maroon veiltail betta gal I have been having since more than 6 months. Brought her home when she was about 3 or 4 months.. She developed a wound on her body to her right since 2 weeks. I thought another gal in the sorority tank attacked her when I was away, but nope, the wound looks to heal a bit but is appearing again. Am unable to see her pain, and unable to cure her... Please suggest what can be done.

All of them are in their individual 2 gal bare bottomed tanks as of now, with daily partial w/c and feeding them frozen blood worms twice a day. Water parameters are all normal, 0, 0, 13.

Really very worried abt them. Please help!!!

Thanks in Advance,
Deeps

Last edited:

uprightandlocked

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello. Daily water changes are good especially since they are in 2 gallon tanks. What is the temperature? Is it consistent?

I truly believe (and will never stop saying) bettas have to have a filter and a heater at a minimum. Your bettas might not be well because of temperature swings, a low temperature, lack of a cycled tank, etc. All of these factors stress fish.

OP
Deeps

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Right now, the temperature outside at our place is high (around 44 degrees C)and i have been maintaining my room temperature to be at 26 degrees C, hence i switched off the heater... for now, .... but all my gals where in a cycled tank when they developed these problems..... not sure what happened...

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm sorry about your bettas. They were together when they started not to fell well?

OP
Deeps

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
yeah, the were in sorority since last 4 months, never had any problem.... all of a sudden,these problems started....

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Sadly many sororities don't work out. They seem to work for a little while, then one day things go terribly wrong.
If you haven't already, it would be a good idea to separate them. Keep their water warm and clean. Add some some extra stress coat, garlic guard and vita-chem. I hope they recover.
Good luck.

OP
Deeps

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks Lucy...
I have separated the gal 2 right after I saw a wound, but as said, the wound appears to heal once and appears fresh the very next day... Am still confused... There are nothing in her individual tank that could hurt her.... she just have some live plants... no gravel atl east... until yesterday morning her appetite was very fine, she used to rush to the front glass asking for food, but last night she didn't eat anything.... not even a bit....

The other gal, as said, is able to eat only if she feels there is something near her when she come up for air, she isn't recognizing my hand too....and she has been separated too 3 days ago... when I saw her not so well....

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm sorry about your bettas, it is strange what is happening, I cannot suggest anything different to what Upright & Lucy has, but best of luck with them, the girlies are still quite young, so let's hope they pull through. As for your male, he may well be getting old, he sounds like he is behaving in a similar way to my Neptune when he got old.
Good luck Deeps!

OP
Deeps

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks Tigerfishy...
The gals are now in divided 2 gal bare bottomed tanks as said earlier... Gal 1 is able to eat and is moving normal, but is not able to recognise me or the food, so now spending some extra time to wait till she comes up for air, and then place the food right next to her.... thts the only way, she is able to eat..
Gal 2 is getting worse hour by hour.. she isnt eating anything... her fins are clamped...she is not moving at all from one corner of the tank at the top.. she behaved the same way once before, but all of a sudden sprung back to normal in 2 weeks...but then she didnt have this wound.... am just not able to see her, imagining how much was she sufferring with thta wound.... I dont even know the cause what happened, which is pinning me down more and more...

FriendsNotFood

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Could be fin rot which came about because of the injury. Sounds like the male slowly losing his tail has finrot too? If you see holes starting to develop in the fins, or tears where there is nothing that could have caused it, then yes it's likely finrot.
Do any of your females have horizontal stripes atm??? Usually a sign of stress, could indicate something wrong with the tank.
Cloudy eyes can be tons of things. I can't remember them all, but I had a molly with cloudy eyes which was a fungus issue. Dosing Melafix worked for that.

Hopefully someone else will be able to help some more Pics are always great though

Good luck with your fish.

OP
Deeps

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Comet is having tail rot... thts for sure... he is eating fine, but looks like he doesnt have enough strength to fight it..... he looks too weak....
and the gals doesnt have any cloud eye, no fin/tail rot, nothing...

Gal 1: She is able to recognize my hand now, but still finding it difficult to recognize the food, unless and until its almost near her mouth....she is an opaque with light lavender touch, so cant identify the stress line, and her tail and fins are wide open no clamping at all..

Gal 2: Her wound looks like it is healing.. she didnt eat anything yesterday but ate fine this morning happy about it... and no signs of horizontal lines at all... she is looking very pale....

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Please be careful with bettas and Melafix https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/betta-archive/4721-all-betta-owners-read-melafix-alert-read-read-danger.html

When you said his tail was fading in your first post, I just assumed he was losing the colour in it which can happen when they get old and weak. Neptune lost a lot of colour in his fins and they started to get slightly raggedy when he got old, but it wasn't fin rot. Just losing colour is not indicative of fin rot per se, but if you see black edges to where the fins are "rotting", then you're looking at fin rot. Please be careful of meds if you are not sure of the exact problem.

I hope this means your girls are slowly on the mend, they're showing more interactive behaviour, and eating in girl 2s case! This is a good start Deeps!

OP
Deeps

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Am happy about my gals now...
But about Comet, he is having a tear in his fins, no dark edges, those tears appear as if he got stuck in a filter or had his tail against a plastic plant.... though there arent any... all his tank has is a live plant, on which he is resting most of the time... and with his tail, they are losing color, fading out, and becoming thin, along with this tear even the way he swims is different than his previous active behaviour, he is swimming as if he is trying to pull his entire body with great difficulty..... one gud thing for now, is that those tears arent progressing to worse part any more, may be the daily w/c helped it.... hope he recovers soon..... I want him back..... I never thought that I love him so much

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It's hard not to get attached. It doesn't sound like fin rot, but keep the water pristine, it certainly won't do any harm as you know.

Neptune at the end had his fins like your boy has. They faded in colour, looked like they had been sucked into a filter and he became lethargic and went off his food too. I was just checking on my blog where I documented what happened, and it is a very similar story right enough.

GoGreen

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Very sorry to read about your bettas...it is so hard when our little finned friends are sick..
All I can think of has been mentioned. I, too, currently have an unwell fish, he is in his own tank where I change the water every day, adding stress coat, vitachem along with the Prime I treat the water with. All his food gets soaked in garlic guard and when I add the food to his tank I add a few drops of the liquid, too. Seems to be helping a bit.

Healing thoughts to your bettas.

OP
Deeps

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thanks GoGreen... so nice of all you guys...
gal 1 looks a bit better now, gal 2, still the same.. eats sometimes, and sometimes nothing..... floating around a corner with the fins and tail clamped.... and Comet, he is becoming more lethargic day by day... he isnt eating either properly.....

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I am sorry, but it comes to them all. I have a betta just now in the last stages of dropsy, his scales are going to rise any day now, and then he will only have a few days left after that :'( :'(
He was my very first betta, a lovely bright red veil tail, and I have only had him for 7 months or so, it's heartbreaking, but it does happen and the very least we can think now is that they had a great lives when they were with us, a heated filtered tank, room to swim in, food regularly, special treats a couple times a week. Not many people treat them this way so we can be thankful for that. Be strong, you're not the only one going through this.

OP
Deeps

Deeps

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The gals are doing grt now..... but Comet, is not having dropsy:''(. he is now pineconed already.... I really hate to say this and see him so....I have had him since last December only.... He was big when I bought him, but I didnt know that the pet store bettas are gonna be about an year old.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom