Need pleco recommendations.. :(

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So i was doing a water change today and I decided to add more sand since the Firemouths are moving the sand around for their newly hatched fry.. I decided to move everyone out except the FM's because I thought the sand might cause the BristleNose Pleco and Yellow labs to run into the pile of wiggling fry.. I put the pleco and labs in separate buckets.. and my evil nephew thinks its cool to flush my pleco down the toilet! Im so sad.. and mad (Nephews currently in time out crying his eyes out)

So now my question is.. does anyone know of any plecos that stay relatively small? Around 3-4 inches would be nice..

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
for your 40 gallon tank, a BN pleco would work, and they come in a variety of color morphs. Then there's the rubberlip pleco - not so showy as the BN. Also the clown pleco, which is even smaller, but requires driftwood.

The clown is the smallest, at 4 inches. The BNs get 5 inches, 6 max.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
for your 40 gallon tank, a BN pleco would work, and they come in a variety of color morphs. Then there's the rubberlip pleco - not so showy as the BN. Also the clown pleco, which is even smaller, but requires driftwood.

The clown is the smallest, at 4 inches. The BNs get 5 inches, 6 max.
Why does the clown pleco require driftwood? Does it eat it?

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Clown Plecos are good, so are Pretty Plecos (Peckoltia Pulcher) at about 3.5".

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Rather than take the chance of the firemouth pair beating up the pleco, I'd suggest a Mag Float.

Are the yellow labs going back into the tank with the firemouth pair?

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Rather than take the chance of the firemouth pair beating up the pleco, I'd suggest a Mag Float.

Are the yellow labs going back into the tank with the firemouth pair?
They've been back with the FM's and the FM's spawned 3 days ago and they have wiggling fry now. The plan is to keep the labs in there to eat a few so I don't end up with 300+ FM's.

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You'll more than likely just end up with a fight, rather than the Labs just eating a few Fry. I'd remove the Labs if I were you.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You'll more than likely just end up with a fight, rather than the Labs just eating a few Fry. I'd remove the Labs if I were you.
Actually no, The labs stay clear of the parents but when the fry start to get curious and wander off is when they'll get picked off. (This sounds so cruel)

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I understand where your coming from, its not cruel. I have more platys than I know what to do with.
I'm glad someone understands.. I mean.. I don't know what to do with 300+ FM's.. Even if it is cut in half.. thats still too much..

Nick G

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have any other tanks? You can always use the babies as feeders for other fish.

JRDroid

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
^thats what I want to do but my wife is too attached to the "cute little baby fish". If you have another tank you could but he labs in there and feed them the fry

Back on topic, I recently saw leopard frog plecos for sale and had never wanted a Pleco till I saw these. Amazon basement has them, and I have heard good things about them
http://theamazonbasement.com/plecomart.html

Last edited:

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually no, The labs stay clear of the parents but when the fry start to get curious and wander off is when they'll get picked off. (This sounds so cruel)
But you mentioned that the parents have only had free swimmers for 3 days. This really isn't enough time to judge how the parents are going to behave toward other fish in the tank... and I'd just about bet that as the FM pair grow, they will become more aggressive when spawning.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
But you mentioned that the parents have only had free swimmers for 3 days. This really isn't enough time to judge how the parents are going to behave toward other fish in the tank... and I'd just about bet that as the FM pair grow, they will become more aggressive when spawning.
I disagree, if they were to show severe aggression then I would be seeing it by now.

The fry are wigglers, not free swimming yet. They ARE aggressive to the labs, but only when the labs swim close to the babies. For some reason, the male is very.. docile..

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I disagree, if they were to show severe aggression then I would be seeing it by now.

The fry are wigglers, not free swimming yet. They ARE aggressive to the labs, but only when the labs swim close to the babies. For some reason, the male is very.. docile..
I think what harpua is saying is that FUTURE spawns will be more aggressive.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I think what harpua is saying is that FUTURE spawns will be more aggressive.
I really don't think my FM's would do any harm to my Labs.. They bluff most of the time and when they do try to bite, the labs easily escape.

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
As they age the Firemouths will get more aggressive during spawns. There's no doubt about it. Let the experience of Harpua, Jaysee & others guide you, they know what they are talking about. You also have to remember that a fish doesn't need to actually inflict physical damage to another fish for aggression to be a problem. Simply chasing the other fish all the time is going to make the bullied fish stressed. Stressed fish are prone to illness & that can have a big effect on all the fish in the tank as well as kill of entire broods all at once.

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
As they age the Firemouths will get more aggressive during spawns. There's no doubt about it. Let the experience of Harpua, Jaysee & others guide you, they know what they are talking about. You also have to remember that a fish doesn't need to actually inflict physical damage to another fish for aggression to be a problem. Simply chasing the other fish all the time is going to make the bullied fish stressed. Stressed fish are prone to illness & that can have a big effect on all the fish in the tank as well as kill of entire broods all at once.
I have to respectively disagree, My FM's are approaching max size so I'm sure they've breed before.. This post wasn't really supposed to be about FM's.. Could we get back to the OP?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom