Need Plant Suggestions

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’m using old media for cycling and a little bit of substrate from an established tank.

The inhabitants will be cherry shrimp, and later down the line when the colony is well-established and the plants have grown in, I’ll transfer my male betta from his 3g to this tank.

The tank size is 5.5g. Current plants are java moss, crypts, and anubias nana. Lighting low-moderate.

The substrate is nothing special, just white sand.

I’m looking for good beginner plants that are not substrate picky and won’t need co2 or ferts

Attachments

OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
With that great looking branchy piece of driftwood i would do a couple types of Anubis and java ferns tied to the different branches.
I have java fern in a 10g tank and was thinking of taking plantlets and doing just that. I just wanted to wait until I get more plantlets and current plantlets grow full size bc my java ferns experienced a mass melt while they were adjusting from the seller’s water to mine. I basically lost every single leaf that the plant had when it was sold to me, but they left me a ton of plantlets before they died.

I've successfully grown water wisteria without ferts or CO2.
I’ll remember to ask my LFS to order wisteria
Another great plant that can go on driftwood is bucephalandra.
I’ll have to to figure out how to pronounce that

OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
UPDATE:
So I realized the filter I bought is not good. It only filters 20GPH, and the water is practically stagnant. I know shrimp need oxygenated water, and if the water isn’t moving there’s hardly any oxygen in there. Also 20GPH isn’t good enough for 5.5g

I’m probably going to buy a 10g filter. My worry is if the current will be too harsh for the java moss. It hasn’t rooted itself to the wood yet and I don’t want bits of it everywhere.

Also I was able to find bucephalandra online. Does the plant handle shipping well? The weather has been above 90F lately

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I have an AC20 on my 5.5 that does a nice job of filtering. You would need to put a prefilter sponge on there if its going to be for shrimp. And the other nice thing is you can control the flow of the return by sliding the intake tube to the left for max flow and right to decrease the flow. Another good option for a 5.5 would be a sponge filter tht will give a lot of BB area and once established will make for a great feeding grounds for your shrimp.

OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have an AC20 on my 5.5 that does a nice job of filtering. You would need to put a prefilter sponge on there if its going to be for shrimp. And the other nice thing is you can control the flow of the return by sliding the intake tube to the left for max flow and right to decrease the flow. Another good option for a 5.5 would be a sponge filter tht will give a lot of BB area and once established will make for a great feeding grounds for your shrimp.
I’m using filter floss to cover the intake.

I prefer power filters, HOBs especially, over sponge filters because for me they’re more efficient. Also my air pump is noisy lol

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’m using filter floss to cover the intake.

I prefer power filters, HOBs especially, over sponge filters because for me they’re more efficient. Also my air pump is noisy lol
Filter floss is a perfect prefilter sponge. I found that hanging my air pumps by the eyelet on the housing or the ribbed part of the wire that goes into the pump will usually quiet them down considerably

angelcraze

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I also have an AC20 on my 5.5g. It's in my bedroom and totally silent. I keep it on the low flow setting and it completely turns over the water.

It's a very low tech, low light tank that has been going for 8 years now. Very easy, very simple. I have had neocaridina shrimp in it.

I have crypt wendtii red that grows right to the surface, but provides a nice burst of crimson color. On the driftwood, it's narrowleaf java fern and anubias nana (petite and micro)make up the foreground. Dwarf sag grows tall like skinny vallisneria in that small tank, so it's growing on the side. I have rotala rotundifolia at the background, it grows very quickly but nice and narrow/delicate looking. I also keep some riccia on top of a piece of driftwood that reaches the surface (growing submerged) along with some floating giant duckweed.

Anubias makes up the foreground for this tank, but another stem plant that I absolutely love using is stargrass. It also grows quickly, but is very versatile for scaping. Stem plants are good to add because they are fast growing and use up more nutrients to outcompete algae, and more effectively filter your tank water. So another stem plant I liked to use in this tank was hygro rosenervig or polysperma. I think you could also use hygro angustifolia, but it's more a background plant with bright green long narrow flowy leaves.

Here's a pic of my tank just for inspiration and to see how the plants can be used
20190127_145256.jpg

You can see rotala in that pic, so this is how it grows just to show you
September 2, 2019 35847 PM EDT.jpg

OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Filter floss is a perfect prefilter sponge. I found that hanging my air pumps by the eyelet on the housing or the ribbed part of the wire that goes into the pump will usually quiet them down considerably
I usually keep it on top of a folded towel so it doesn’t vibrate against the table.
I also have an AC20 on my 5.5g. It's in my bedroom and totally silent. I keep it on the low flow setting and it completely turns over the water.

It's a very low tech, low light tank that has been going for 8 years now. Very easy, very simple. I have had neocaridina shrimp in it.

I have crypt wendtii red that grows right to the surface, but provides a nice burst of crimson color. On the driftwood, it's narrowleaf java fern and anubias nana (petite and micro)make up the foreground. Dwarf sag grows tall like skinny vallisneria in that small tank, so it's growing on the side. I have rotala rotundifolia at the background, it grows very quickly but nice and narrow/delicate looking. I also keep some riccia on top of a piece of driftwood that reaches the surface (growing submerged) along with some floating giant duckweed.

Anubias makes up the foreground for this tank, but another stem plant that I absolutely love using is stargrass. It also grows quickly, but is very versatile for scaping. Stem plants are good to add because they are fast growing and use up more nutrients to outcompete algae, and more effectively filter your tank water. So another stem plant I liked to use in this tank was hygro rosenervig or polysperma. I think you could also use hygro angustifolia, but it's more a background plant with bright green long narrow flowy leaves.

Here's a pic of my tank just for inspiration and to see how the plants can be used
View attachment 585013
You can see rotala in that pic, so this is how it grows just to show you
View attachment 585014
Wow nice tank and thanks for suggestions! My LFS is getting another plant shipment so I’ll remember to ask for these. I prefer LFS over online so I can see the plant before I get it. I’ll also try to find an AC20.

OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
UPDATE:

So I got a Topfin filter with adjustable flow. I used a cloth sleeve to cover intake, but realized this hindered the flow greatly, even on highest setting, and I was worried as the motor got older the extra work needed to pump water would cause the motor to burn itself out. Also it was a shame to watch such a good filter be weakened for no reason.
I ended up taking the old filter from my 10 gallon. The intake was slightly different so it was a better bet for covering. I clogged it with filter floss just enough that the flow was just right, but still filtering enough water (the motor is old so if it gets overworked or if the intake gets clogged too much it will either stop working or make loud crunching noises)

I also added 5 shrimp! They’re doing great and so cute I’m hoping my LFS got more. Aiming the colony for at least 10

Also hoping they got another plant shipment

OP
Crimson_687

Crimson_687

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
So I managed to get 3 more cherry shrimp. I’m pretty sure one is male, and one is berried (yayyyyy)

The water in my 10 is looking so much cleaner with the new filter. Glad I switched them

The crypts have grown a bit, and the java moss is settled. Not rooted in yet but at least now I’m not finding stray bits here and there. I gave them some old, falling apart marimo moss and they absolutely love it.

Quick question: will this be good enough to keep shrimplets from being sucked up? I took the extension off the intake and put filter floss directly on the intake

Attachments

Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 30 61.2%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Monthly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 10 20.4%

Top Bottom