Need Plant Ideas for 36 Gallon Bowfront

kmbishop111

I have an established tank that Im rescaping. Needing plant ideas, some that are low tech, easy to care for/hard to kill.
You must be registered to see images

bored411

Java ferns, anubias, amazon sword, dwarf sag are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. the first two you attach to things, sword needs a root tab, dwarf sag also needs root tabs but can carpet. Any moss is good too, though I personally don't like moss because it gets hair algae easily for me and catches food and debris easily.

User1

Are you using root tabs or liquid ferts?
I have an established tank that Im rescaping. Needing plant ideas, some that are low tech, easy to care for/hard to kill.
Pearl weed and frogbit are good too if you can find them

kmbishop111

I prefer root tabs. :)
Java ferns, anubias, amazon sword, dwarf sag are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. the first two you attach to things, sword needs a root tab, dwarf sag also needs root tabs but can carpet. Any moss is good too, though I personally don't like moss because it gets hair algae easily for me and catches food and debris easily.
Actually that was my last scape minus the moss. :cool: Would like to get some Jungle Val or something similar for the background.

bored411

I prefer root tabs. :)

Actually that was my last scape minus the moss. :cool: Would like to get some Jungle Val or something similar for the background.
That would look great! You can also try some stem plants like ludwigia and rotala. Hornwort too. I tend to do a combo of root tabs (or plant specific soil/substrate) and liquid fert. It allows more of a variety on the types of plants you can have but it's all up to you :) crypts and reineckii are good as well for mid ground/foreground plants.

kmbishop111

Great ideas!! Thanks so much!! Will have to look into liquid fert as an option. :)

Thunder_o_b

This is a 36 bow we had. Gave it away last year.... We kept the plants
Great ideas!! Thanks so much!! Will have to look into liquid fert as an option. :)
When it comes to feeding plants some are heavy root feeders (amazons come to mind) and others feed from the water column (ferns, moss and Anubis) while others feed from both.

And watch the moss it can be very invasive. Consider, why do you pay a good amount of money for a rather small amount of something that grows fast? Because they know that you will never need more.

I have Christmas moss that at this time I have gotten tired of fighting it back. Some shots of Christmas moss below. The corys love it. In the second moss shot it decided to grow on the output of a Marineland HOB.

kmbishop111

I picked up some dwarf sag today, 3 plants, but one appears to have 3 runners? Im guessing thats what these are. Do I bury the runners or leave them in water column?
You must be registered to see images

bored411

I picked up some dwarf sag today, 3 plants, but one appears to have 3 runners? Im guessing thats what these are. Do I bury the runners or leave them in water column?
bury them. they usually start like that then grow leaves up and out. shouldn't have an issue. you could also cut them off and plant them separately.

kmbishop111

Thanks, all are buried now. :) Thinking ab picking up a nice size Amazon Sword tomorrow and a couple other plants. I forgot how much fun and addicting it can be to start over.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Ewest
  • Question
Replies
Views
Ssnaaiil
Replies
Views
Jocelyn Adelman
Replies