20 Gallon Tank Need pH experts help with this!

mastersafara

I’m trying to get the pH to a safe level for my 3 pea puffers. I’ve had them for nearly 1 year but one of them recently died (I had 4). So I had been testing my pH levels incorrectly all this time. I use the api master test kit and used the regular ph drops and when the results always came back a dark/rich blue color I assumed it was the highest it could go like 7.6. It never dawned on me to use the high ph test drops. That is my fault. So I finally tested for high ph yesterday and it’s at 8.4. For pea puffers I’m seeing a good ph for them is 6.5-7.0. I don’t know why the 1 recently died but i don’t want to ignore the high ph in the water. I don’t know if my fish were wild caught or captive bred I have no idea. 1 I bought from Petco and the other 2 my local fish store. So I’m not sure what ph they’re used to other than the ph they’ve been living in my tank for a year. Should I try reducing the ph and start regularly monitoring and regulating it or just leave it alone?

Attachments

• CAFE467C-248C-45B9-B4AE-981294575430.jpeg
    CAFE467C-248C-45B9-B4AE-981294575430.jpeg
    144.6 KB · Views: 11

jkkgron2

I would leave the pH alone. If the remains ones are doing ok then it sounds like adjusting it would cause more issues. If the pH has always been that high then I don’t think the death was caused by that.

Upvote 0

richiep

The best way to reduce ph is by using ro water but that and any other way would need regular attention, or leave alone.
I'd have thought you would have problems before now

Upvote 0

mattgirl

I feel sure if the high pH caused the death it would have happened long before now. After a year I have to think your water pets are acclimated to the parameters of your water. I wouldn't try to lower it. We can often cause more harm trying to fix a problem that may not be a problem.

Upvote 0

LowConductivity

I'm all for playing chemistry set in the aquarium....when its required. Count me in the "let it be camp". When you decide it time to start spawning them, you can change my vote.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• beagle
  • pH
Replies
Views
jtjgg
  • CJLand
  • pH
Replies
Views
mattgirl