Need Opinions On My Stocking Idea Please And Thank You

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by CaptAnnDuchow, Jan 3, 2019.

?

Will my stocking idea work out ?

1. Yay

75.0%
  2. Nay

25.0%
  1. CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

Sooooo i have a 20g high and i want to put a male Betta ..kuhli loaches..and SAEs..is this safe? And is it ok for the betta to be in a 20g. I just want what is best for the fish. Filtration is a marina s20 and not pictured but added since is a sponge filter rated supposedly for 30g tank. Tank is fully cycled and set to 79°. 20181228_112359.jpg

2. scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

I think the Khulis and betta are fine. I can see the SAE bullying both fishes though. I would not get one for that setup. I own two. They're very active fish.

3. Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

Skip the SAEs as they get too big and aggressive. The Betta should be ok with the Kuhlis and you could get some Snails or something.

4. CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

What type of snails are great at algae eating ..this tank does get a bit of cast off rays from the window.

5. CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

What about the 20g volume. It has been brought up that the tails are heavy and he wouldn't be happy in a 20g.

6. Lance0414Well Known MemberMember

Nerites and Mystery Snails would be great.
    The Betta should be fine with the Loaches, the Loaches are peaceful and if the Betta bullies them they can easily get away.

7. CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

@Bubbles_and_Fins sorry to tag you yet again but i feel like you are a betta owner i value the opinion of.
    Edited to say i value all opinions. I realized how my post sounded ..no offense to anyone i swear.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  8. HelloKittyPowaValued MemberMember

@Ann Daniel Aw man!!! I LOVE YOUR SETUP! COLORS AND FUN!

9. CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

My kids (even the adult male one haha) picked everything in that tank except the sand i picked lol

10. Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Hey there! I must say I dig the spongebob theme lol. A 20 gallon is wonderful for a betta. I’ve seen tons of long-finned varieties in 20s but if you are worried about him not being able to swim fast enough for air because of heavy fins then you can get a plakat or a crowntail. ;)

The khulis should be fine with him since they just hide all the time. Although i have to admit i don’t have any experience with khuli loaches. Depending on the betta’s temperament then you could also get some shrimp and snails and have a little cleanup crew. The shrimp would explode in that big of a tank and add a lot of activity and things to look at in there, especially since all you’ll really see in the whole 20 gal is one betta! Haha.

11. CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

I wanted cherry shrimp. Can i have them? Or does it have to be ghost shrimp. Im going to get some nerites..i figure with everytjing going on in that tank the eggs wont probably even be noticed lol.

12. Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

It can be any, although from my experience the ghost shrimp really blend in with the roots of the tank and “disappear” when my betta tries to hunt them. With that big of a tank i’d say cherries are fine. They’ll spend a lot of time hiding in the decor if the betta is mean.

Yeah you could do that, or you could get a single mystery snail. Except mine is a bulldozer and uproots every plant in his path. They all have their pros and cons. Just pick what you want in the end! :)

Although I must say you should QT EVERYTHING before you put it in your display tank. My new shrimp have wrecked havoc in mine with horsehair worms. Ugh.

13. CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

Ok i will QT everyone. Im getting them species by species. So i dont shock my tank.

14. aae0130Well Known MemberMember

Not to be off topic but I love your tank. I normally do not go for themes and prefer the natural look but this one pops.

15. CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

Thank you..my boyfriend said it is his tank and stop complementing me for his efforts LMBO.. It is my tank i allowed him and the kids to decorate.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  16. CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

Ok called the fish clinic and he has red..blue..and yellow shrimp all Neocaridina heteropoda Species so no worries on hybrids..im gunna get a mix..

17. Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Nice and colorful!

18. CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

It will go with the theme lol

19. CaptAnnDuchowWell Known MemberMember

They were gone by the time i got there...i have ghost shrimp though!!

20. Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Nice! They’re fun!