Need Opinions On Divided Tanks Question

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jnyftb, Dec 29, 2018.

1. JnyftbValued MemberMember

What is everyone's opinion on divided tanks? I have three established small tanks each with a betta in it and was thinking about getting a 20 long and adding two dividers. Has anybody done this before? How are your betta's after the transfer?

2. GuppyDazzleWell Known MemberMember

100% personal opinion, I don't like the way divided tanks look. If the tank was for display, I wouldn't do it. But if it was just for functionality, I would.

3. JnyftbValued MemberMember

Definitely functionality. Running out of room. Trying to consolidate while still keeping everyone happy and healthy. Don't want to compromise their health over this

4. DravValued MemberMember

in my opinion dividers arent really attractive, if its just for functionality its fine. try to keep some plants around the barriers so the bettas dont see eachother. They still may get aggressive if they see another through a barrier, it causes unnecessary stress.

5. The_fishyWell Known MemberMember

I have a divided ten gallon. What you need to consider (besides looks) is if you are willing to risk disease spreading from one fish to all three. Also, the way your filter setup is can influence health. If you have a HOB in only one section, the other sections are getting filtered, but not nearly as much. I had a HOB in each section, then changed to a canister with a spray bar that deposited water in each section. I would also get or make dividers that are hard to see through. Mine are two staggered sheets of plastic grid inserted into report clips. You could also try growing moss between two clamped dividers if you still had good filtration in all sections (the moss greatly reduces flow)

6. The_fishyWell Known MemberMember

7. Bubbles_and_FinsWell Known MemberMember

Hi there! Your idea seems perfectly fine to me. I would suggest getting your dividers from the LifeWithPets website, because they look the best IMO and the bettas have a much less chance of seeing each other and hopping over to the other bettas’s side because of it. They are handmade from a fish-loving family. Just make sure you put some form of filtration or at least an airstone in each section! :)

8. JnyftbValued MemberMember

Thank you everyone. I had bought dividers from life with pets a few months ago but haven't had the courage to start the project. I do have hang on back filters but am thinking multiple sponge filters would be my best bet in each section. Again... If I get the guts lol