Need Opinion on 2.8g stocking

Bruinfishkeeper1
Hey guys so I have 2.8g cube tank and its kinda just retired and sitting around.

So i wanted to do something at my lfs I stumbled upon malabar Puffers (pea puffer). One of the guys there told me that there is this one (in their pea puffer species dedicated tank that's not technically for sale) that said always get beat on. I said i might be able to take it but ill check back with you.

Im thinking of making it faux blackwater type thing (either walstad or sponge filtered), With Pothos, Red root floaters or frogbit, annubias, crypts, MAYBE java fern not sure though. With some driftwood, mopani wood, MAYBE Indian Almond leaves (but might not sense it does decay and I don't want that access ammonia), alder cones and some other tannin supplements in a bottle.

2.8g of water isn't much volume wise but its (i think) better then getting beat up by another male while trying to mate with a female lol. I don't the guy said he's been in there for a while and i just feel bad for the poor thing. I already got a cycled sponge filter so im good on that (the tank is running right now).

Im probably going to do small water changes like 10% per every other day or every two days. Im not really worried about the waste because I know how to deal with that (plus pothos is literal magic). But my main worry is the ph fluctation. Every time i do the water change won't I be adding my 7.4-7.6 ph water in there, while my tank is like 6.5-7.0 or something. I was thinking that maybe to deal with that i could add some fritz or carbi sea tannin adder to the water before actually adding the water into the tank.

I don't know lol. you guys let me know your opinion on this. I really want the pea puffer but I know that I have to really think about the other factors

grac3
i know for a fact that that puffer would be so much happier in your cube. so if it were me, i would totally get him. i know a lot of people are gonna have something to say about that.

the main concern with a smaller tank is that the parameters would go out of balance but you seem to have it under control. and i would definitely treat the water with the tannins before adding it.

anyway, i'm sure you would be much happier in your own small designer apartment, rather than in an abusive household in a mansion lol

Bruinfishkeeper1
grac3 said:
i know for a fact that that puffer would be so much happier in your cube. so if it were me, i would totally get him. i know a lot of people are gonna have something to say about that.

the main concern with a smaller tank is that the parameters would go out of balance but you seem to have it under control. and i would definitely treat the water with the tannins before adding it.

anyway, i'm sure you would be much happier in your own small designer apartment, rather than in an abusive household in a mansion lol
See that's exactly what I was thinking. The puffer would enjoy it so much more and would spend a better life in there. I was contemplating and I was like I know Imma just get a bunch of "pea puffers need a minimum of 5g". I was even thinking about scratching idea and just making a blackwater with Neocardina shrimp. Thanks for giving me some good insight.

We'll see what other people have to say as well!

Spudsssy
I have kept pea puffers. They are very intelligent and super inquisitive fish. If keeping multiple they can be quite territorial in small tanks... More like 10gal and extra 5gal per puffer would be a comfortable setup for them.

Making a fish thrive rather then just keeping them alive should be the goal. Maybe view the 2.8gal as a temporary home with the goal of upgrading the tank in the near future. Like I said they are super inquisitive..... The more snails and space you have for exploring the better.

I know it's hard to see fish in less then ideal conditions in fish shops. But it's best not to compare their conditions with the ones we are proving as fishkeepers.

grac3
Spudsssy said:
I have kept pea puffers. They are very intelligent and super inquisitive fish. If keeping multiple they can be quite territorial in small tanks... More like 10gal and extra 5gal per puffer would be a comfortable setup for them.

Making a fish thrive rather then just keeping them alive should be the goal. Maybe view the 2.8gal as a temporary home with the goal of upgrading the tank in the near future. Like I said they are super inquisitive..... The more snails and space you have for exploring the better.

I know it's hard to see fish in less then ideal conditions in fish shops. But it's best not to compare their conditions with the ones we are proving as fishkeepers.
i'm guessing they're only planning to keep that one puffer in that tank alone

Hobbyist
Bruinfishkeeper1 said:
Hey guys so I have 2.8g cube tank and its kinda just retired and sitting around.

So i wanted to do something at my lfs I stumbled upon malabar Puffers (pea puffer). One of the guys there told me that there is this one (in their pea puffer species dedicated tank that's not technically for sale) that said always get beat on. I said i might be able to take it but ill check back with you.

Im thinking of making it faux blackwater type thing (either walstad or sponge filtered), With Pothos, Red root floaters or frogbit, annubias, crypts, MAYBE java fern not sure though. With some driftwood, mopani wood, MAYBE Indian Almond leaves (but might not sense it does decay and I don't want that access ammonia), alder cones and some other tannin supplements in a bottle.

2.8g of water isn't much volume wise but its (i think) better then getting beat up by another male while trying to mate with a female lol. I don't the guy said he's been in there for a while and i just feel bad for the poor thing. I already got a cycled sponge filter so im good on that (the tank is running right now).

Im probably going to do small water changes like 10% per every other day or every two days. Im not really worried about the waste because I know how to deal with that (plus pothos is literal magic). But my main worry is the ph fluctation. Every time i do the water change won't I be adding my 7.4-7.6 ph water in there, while my tank is like 6.5-7.0 or something. I was thinking that maybe to deal with that i could add some fritz or carbi sea tannin adder to the water before actually adding the water into the tank.

I don't know lol. you guys let me know your opinion on this. I really want the pea puffer but I know that I have to really think about the other factors
Just wanted to let you know that I read that pea puffers only eat frozen or live food , so keep that in mind , I wanted to keep them in my 10g but I don’t have live or frozen food

Bruinfishkeeper1
Spudsssy said:

I'd have to see if that could work. I was going to have a 5g cube but i think I have to cancel that plan since i cant have another fish tank. I am able to set this cube up. Its really between the puffer or Neocardina shrimp.

Although I really want the puffer lol. Those things are just so cool. My thing is also matenince. I feel like with shrimp it would be a lot less matenince.

I guess my question is, is that could I make it work? (Like will it be a constant burden)
Hobbyist said:
Just wanted to let you know that I read that pea puffers only eat frozen or live food , so keep that in mind , I wanted to keep them in my 10g but I don’t have live or frozen food
Yeah that's totally fine with me since I do anyways feed frozen foods to all of my tanks

Bruinfishkeeper1
So after contemplating I decided that I am going to go ahead and rescue the Malabar Puffer (I dont know why I call it a Malabar puffer and not a pea puffer, malabar just sounds cooler lol..

Its gonna be a South Indian Blackwater Biotope tank

I'm going to put it in with a cycled sponge filter with the flow reduced through a diy bleed valve

Some mopani wood, Indian almond leaves (although still debating due to it rotting), some sand substrate, sticks and large river rocks from the actual nature. And some type of blackwater extract.

Some red root floaters, tons of pothos, annubias, some floating rotala indica and ludwigia palistrus super red and possibly some wandering jew.

Pfrozen
If your pH is dropping you might want to switch to RO and remineralize it to the proper KH... Pea puffers do best between around 6.8-7.5 so remineralizing to a KH of 4-4.5 would give you a pH in that range and it would be stable. Pretty perfect if you ask me

Bruinfishkeeper1
The problem is is that I currently am sorta unable to get an RO system. I Still eventually might be able to. But for now
How can i go by this without RO. I'll test my tap waters kh tommorow and get back to you on that.

grac3
sounds cool! i'd love to see pictures of this lil guy and his new home so keep me updated :)

Bruinfishkeeper1
grac3 said:
sounds cool! i'd love to see pictures of this lil guy and his new home so keep me updated :)
I'll for sure be putting some pics of the puffer on this thread. I think they're qt'ing it for me which is really nice. So I'll send some pics of the tank itself very soon!
Also quick thing for Pfrozen and grac3. What types of annubias do you guys think I should do? I kinda want a bigger annubia (but obviously not to big). Also should I try to do Java Fern. Even though this is a blackwater setup, the light im using is BRIGHT so im assuming it should work. What do you guys think.

Latest threads

Top Bottom