Need new stocking idea

Betta Splendid 1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
So soon before getting the fish for my 29 gallon tank I did a little research on otocinclus one of the fish I was going to get and I kept hearing stories otocinclus dies after a couple days perfect water parameters. I don't want a fish that was that sensitive. So could some one please help me replace the otocinclus on my stocking plan. The plan was 8 harlequin rasboras, 6 black phantom tetras, 1 hoeny gourami and 6 otocinclus. So any other suggestions instead of the otocinclus.

Betta Splendid 1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
My substrate is smallish pebbles so I think corydoras are a no no already thought about them before. I am not looking for something to eat algae particularly but it would be nice.

Dom90

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Oh yea definitely, there's many members here who keep one in a 20 or 29g. They only get up to 4".

Betta Splendid 1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I think I could get one of those what are the point of those things on the bristle nose pleco are those barbels

So a 29 gal tank can fit 8 harlequin rasboras, 6 black phantom tetras, 1 hoeny gourami and 1 bristle nose pleco.

Last edited by a moderator:

tyguy7760

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
You could also do a clown pleco for another type of pleco that would work. Both need driftwood in the tank if you don't already have some

If the gravel is smooth I wouldn't worry about the cory's. If it is low grade cheap gravel that has sharp edges then yes but smooth stone or high grade gravel should be fine. I have them in my tank with very smooth gravel and also have a friend that has had false julii and panda cory's in gravel for a couple of years and their barbels are huge.

I myself have 3 oto's that I tried out (was concerned about the same thing you were that I had seen so many horror stories about how delicate they are) and they are doing fine. I have a theory of why people think they are so sensitive.

1) Oto's in particular go through a lot before they come to your tank. They are usually half starved as many do not eat the algae wafers very well. Usually by the time you get them they are on the brink and do not make it. It's important to have a good stock from your LFS.

2) I think a lot of times people buy them to clean their algae and they do a fantastic job. But after a few weeks, when they have consumed all of the algae, they starve. Oto's should have at least a fresh veggie a week and many fish keepers do not go this extra step.

If you want to try Oto's I wouldn't let the horror stories scare you. You could pick up 2 or 3 and test them out for a month. If they live, you can add to the group.

I personally am sticking with the 3 I originally bought. They seem happy and keep round bellies. I don't want to risk it adding any more and they don't really school together anyways. I know many people on here disagree with me and that's fine. But my 3 are very healthy, fat, and happy.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Otos will be fine in your tank.... I don't get why you'd discount them if they're the fish you want. They should, however, be added last, and you should try to get captive bred specimens, or specimens that have lived captively for several weeks. You'll also want to make sure your tank has a healthy algae colony for them to feed them until you can train them onto prepared foods.

If you decide not to get them anyway, a small species BN pleco would be probably the most ideal alternative. You want a species that stays under 5", some do get quite a bit larger so be sure you know what you're buying.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom