Need New Filters...again.

Zoomo
So, I have the Tidal 75 g and 55 g on my 40-gallon breeder tank because it has too many snails in it and I love each and every one of them. Did not plan this honestly. Had no idea they got so big and were such piggies. Anyway, I have the Tidals which have skimmers on them. Otherwise I love these filters. However, every time a snail decides to cross the filter, it blocks the inflow of the skimmer making it make sucking/grinding/crunching gross sounds which makes me get up and move said snail. I am sure they are as tired of this as I am. I mean they were probably comfortable there and I keep moving them. Maybe they like the sucking feeling on their bellies. Who knows.

So, I am looking once again to buy new filters. I see the AquaClears are most recommended but none have the gallonage as my 2 have now. I would have to buy 3 probably. I have currently a 30 G AquaClear (but cannot find the white sponge or the bioballs that came with it) and a 20 G AquaClear (but that one leaked because I cannot figure out where these white washer rings go). So, was looking at the up to 50 G AquaClear, but honestly for 50.00 I want it to self-prime.

So, been looking, and it seems all I see are the Marineland ones with the wheels (which I read stop working), the AquaClears, Aqueon QuietFlow (but do not want cartridges and have no idea if they have room to just put your own media), or these Tidal I have.

Is there a filter with enough power, gallonage, that will replace what I have now, self-priming, etc., can use own media, well at least not cartridges. Was looking into canister filters, but again, no idea what is good, and pricing is kind of crazy, how do the tubes go in and out of the tank, etc.

Does anybody have any recommendations for a HOB with a lot of gallonage, not really expensive, can use own media, no skimmer, preferably self-primes but this is not definitely needed currently since I have plenty of overhead pouring space? I'd like to get two like 50 gallon filters and run 2 at once, but if they are 75.00 each, then I cannot do that currently.

How big is the AquaClear 110? Will this keep my 40-gallon with too many Mystery snails in it clean or will I still need to run 2 filters? The 110 is 68 dollars on Amazon.

Fashooga
I think the 110 should be suitable for you. I’ve had the 70 and I basically put sponges and media. It’s really a pick and choose.

I also have the marine land 350 penguin. I liked it. The wheels that don’t spin...not really a problem at all since 95% of the bacteria is in the housing it self. I packed that with ceramic rings and sponges.

Zoomo
I broke down and bought 2 AquaClear 70's. I got a 20% off coupon for Drs. Foster and Smith and went for it. I do love the baskets for the media and they are perfect to pop a purigen in and no skimmer. So, I went for it. Thanks everybody. I do not like the no priming thing, but since I have plenty of overhead room to prime them, that is okay, and if my power goes out, I am up the creek anyway whether my filter primes when power comes back on or not.

Pkut
You shouldn't have to re-prime your new Aquaclear power filter is your electricity goes out. The filter's intake tube will maintain it's prime and as soon as the power comes back on, it will start itself again.

Zoomo
You shouldn't have to re-prime your new Aquaclear power filter is your electricity goes out. The filter's intake tube will maintain it's prime and as soon as the power comes back on, it will start itself again.

I have the 20 and the 30 gallon AquaClear ones and they needed priming every water change. Every time I turned off the power source so I can maintain the tank, they needed priming or it made horrible sucking sounds that I was afraid would burn out the motor.

Pkut
Oh, a water change is different than a power failure. I leave mine running during a water change. That way, if I siphon my tank below the level of the intake tube, I don't lose my siphon. The filter will be noisy for a few minutes but as soon as the water level in your tank gets high enough, the flow will start again.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Fishfriendkeeper
Replies
Views
HaileStorm
Replies
Views
Cichlidude
Replies
Views