Need New Centerpiece Fish For Community Tank 29 Gallon Tank

1. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

I just yesterday moved my sorority of 7 female bettas out of my community tank and put them in a dedicated 20 gallon tank. I did this for feeding reasons. Long story short, if I fed the tank properly, the bettas would eat all the food and the bottom feeders would get nothing, and if I overfed the tank the bottom dwellers would still get nothing and the bettas would get fat. So the bettas were moved.

Here's the set up:

29 Gallons
    Sand Substrate
    HEAVILY decorated with ornaments and plants
    78 degrees (F) but adjustable
    pH comes out of the tap at 8.0 but settles in the tank around 7.6

Current Stock:
    10 Neon Tetras
    6 Kuhli Loaches
    3 Albino Bronze Corydoras
    1 Ghost Shrimp
    1 Nerite Snail (If he's still alive. I haven't seen him in over a month.)

I want to rehome the 3 corydoras, I think, instead of buying 3 more. I know they need to be in a group of 6 or more. I used to have more, but there was an ich outbreak, and these 3 are the only survivors. But since I have the kuhli loaches, I think I want them to be my only "bottom feeder". I may even get more loaches.

I'm open to adding a few fish, as opposed to just 1 or 2 centerpieces. I was thinking about maybe a honey gourami or 2. I'm also really really into the cichlid-ish fish. Apistos, Rams... Something that looks like it has a mohawk. I'm also interested in angelfish, but a friend of mine has an angelfish tank and he put 20 something neon tetras in the tank and the next day he only had 1 survivor - the angels ate the rest. So I'm certainly iffy about adding angelfish, even though I do kind of want one (just one). Is it okay to just have one angelfish? I certainly don't want a breeding pair. Same with the gouramis, or really any fish. I don't want this tank overrun with babies.

What centerpiece(s) would look good and are compatible with my water parameters and existing livestock?

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

A honey/pearl/dwarf gourami? Your best bet would be a pearl, they are the most peaceful :yawn: