Need new bottom feeders 90 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Jaysee, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The pictus cats are going back to the store. They were just too aggresive and nippy.

So, any suggestions?

There is a fancy goldfish and a regular goldfish. Next fish going in is a BGK. We will be upgrading to a 6' (or 8' :) I'm already planting the seeds) tank when the time comes, so keep that in mind.

2. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Either a single or group of Doras depending on the species. Spotted Doras (Agamyxis Pectinifrons), Star Gazing Doras (Astrodoras Asterifrons) if you want a solo specimen. Talking Catfish (Amblydoras Hancocki) if you would rather 3-5 of them in a large enough tank.

For something a little different an Adonis Catfish (Acanthicus Adonis) would suit a large tank but thier need of fast flowing water might make life hard for Goldies. A Pin-Striped Pleco (Panaque Nigrolineatus) would be a good choice as woulda Giant Whiptail (Sturisoma Aureum). Or even an Angel Catfish (Synodontis Angelicus).

For something completely different maybe a Elephantnose (Gnathonemus Schilthuisiae) would be ok. Not 100% certain on the last one. You would need to check compatability.

3. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Hi Jaysee,

In my opinion, Goldfish tanks don't really need bottom feeders because Goldfish eat and swim all over the tank. So bottom fish wouldn't be needed unless you really want them. Just my opinion. :;hf

4. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Thanks. yeah, i just want them. i was thinking about loaches. yoyos maybe? horsefaces? both? can i do clowns knowing ill be upgrading tanks in a couple years?

im getting angelicus loaches for another tank.

5. platy ben

platy ben Well Known Member Member

If it were me I would go for a group of spotted raphael catfish or a group of skunk botias/ red tail botias.

6. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

How about dojo loaches? A little sand on the bottom, and add in a shoal of 3 or 4. Remember that they have pretty big bioloads, too.

7. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

I've heard the skunk and red tail loaches are quite boisterous and aggressive, which may not mix well with the fancy goldfish.

Dojos are a maybe.

8. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Cool! I don't know much about bottom feeders so nothing much from me :) Best of luck on getting them. Keep us updated with photos when you get em' :;hf

9. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

Heh, heh, I've always thought of dojo loaches as a cross between goldfish and kuhli loaches.

They have big bioloads, are messy, grow pretty big, annd are coldwater like goldfish. However, they're serpentine loaches, nutty, like to burrow, and are gregarious like kuhlis.

10. gremlin

gremlin Well Known Member Member

My goldfish get along just fine with my sailfin plecos, one chinese algae eater, and three cories. Depending on what temperature you keep the tank, maybe a nice school of cories. They have a smaller bio load so you could do quite a large school. They would not bother your goldies at all, and add a bit of motion to the tank.

11. S

Sammyboi1993 Valued Member Member

I Would say Dojo Loaches, iv got 1 in my tank and he is allways active during feeding and eats everything. Mine burrows in my gravel and loves hiding and is overall a fasinating fish. They do better when their is 2 or more as they are very sociable. I love my dojo loach he is my favorite fish ever.

A Small pleco could Do The Job or some corys?

12. OP
    OP
    Jaysee

Thanks. I'm leaning towards loaches....think I've got this figured out.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice