Question Need name of this guy/fish

mattfaria12

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just recently added a bunch of new fish because me previous ones died. The water got to hot for them and they died. The heater malfunctioned. Anyways. One guy remained and i want to add a few more of his kind to what i added a couple days ago. So i need to the name of this guy. I attached the picture. Thanks guys!

Attachments

DuaneV

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Agree with FinalFins on it being a Golden Pencilfish.

Feohw

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
The body and head shape is all wrong for it to be a pencil. And the black stripe doesn't continue through its face.

Looks more like a blackline rasbora, Rasbora borapetensis.

CoryBoi

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I don’t know what the fish is, but before you get more, did you get a new heater? What size is the tank?

OP
M

mattfaria12

Reaction score
Yeah we bought a new heater, cleaned the tank out thoroughly and let it filter for 6-7 hours. Its a 75 gallon tank

OP
M

mattfaria12

Reaction score
LOL....we gave him the name superman but those are some nice names too

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It’s difficult to tell the coloring but the body shape definitely looks like my rasbora borapetensis. Sometimes they are labeled as brilliant rasboras.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's the Rasbora borapetensis, without doubt. The only resemblance to a Golden Pencilfish is a black stripe with gold above it. Nothing else even suggests Pencilfish. And just to note, Black Neons are BLACK.

It is, or at least was for a long time, one of the most common fish in fish stores. Should have been easily recognized.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
chromedome52 said:
It's the Rasbora borapetensis, without doubt. The only resemblance to a Golden Pencilfish is a black stripe with gold above it. Nothing else even suggests Pencilfish. And just to note, Black Neons are BLACK.

It is, or at least was for a long time, one of the most common fish in fish stores. Should have been easily recognized.
I had no idea it was a guess because of the black stripe and lighter stripe above it. I've also never seen them in any of my lfs. Must not be popular around here.

OP
M

mattfaria12

Reaction score
chromedome52 said:

Okay. So, it that the name i use when i got to the aquarium store or do they have another name they use?

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
mattfaria12 said:
Okay. So, it that the name i use when i got to the aquarium store or do they have another name they use?
Brilliant Rasboras Basil said.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Actually, I live in southwestern Michigan, used to make the trips to Kalamazoo, Detroit, Lansing, and Grand Rapids just to visit certain fish stores, not to mention Milwaukee and Chicago. I've seen this species in all kinds of LFS, and the Pestmarts as well. But I haven't been hitting the stores for a few years now. Odd that such a hardy, attractive fish should have lost popularity in such a short time.

StarGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
chromedome52 said:
Actually, I live in southwestern Michigan, used to make the trips to Kalamazoo, Detroit, Lansing, and Grand Rapids just to visit certain fish stores, not to mention Milwaukee and Chicago. I've seen this species in all kinds of LFS, and the Pestmarts as well. But I haven't been hitting the stores for a few years now. Odd that such a hardy, attractive fish should have lost popularity in such a short time.
Im in GR area I may just not have paid attention to them not being as flashy as neons and such. Who knows.

Basil

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I see them on occasion in both the larger (not chain though) fish stores that I go to both in southern PA and MD. And both places do label them as Brilliant rasboras.
I have 12 of them in my 40 b along with 9 dwarf chain loaches. It’s my carnivore tank! And with black substrate and black background they look great. Definitely an underrated fish.

New Threads