Need more light or CO2?

NC_OBS

So I now have the plants listed in my signature. My lighting is 2 18" t8 bulbs, 15w each, so I'm just a little over 1wpg. My question is will all of the plants I've got be ok in this(not looking for crazy growth just living plants). The wisteria I thought would be fine since I have it floated directly under the lights, but they're quite pale and thin leafed. Substrate is Floramax(not as good as eco I know but it's what I've got). I've also been dosing the tank with Florin Axxis(like Excel but reported to not kill Anacharis). So do you folks think I need to ask for a t5 HO fixture for christmas(putting me right about 2wpg)? And if I did would that leave me needing C02 because of the higher light?

Lot of questions I know, but I have a lot of questions.

v369

in a tank that size your lighting should be sufficent, if the tank was deeper maby not so much. the wisteria should be fine if its floating and generaly tends to be light grren anyway.
only higher light plants in your list would be Anacharis and Hornwort . I have grown, and have seen it do well in tanks with less light than you are using.
but a t5 ho sure would be nice to have :}

Nutter

Fishlore VIP
I think your plants should be fine in the light you have now. As mentioned above Water Wisteria is often a light green colour & it already has thin leaves. Perhaps switching to a better quality liquid fert such as Flourish Comprehensive might help but I probably wouldn't be in too much of a rush to make the switch. The plants really need time to settle into the tank & adapt to the prevailing conditions before you should make any changes.

I don't think you need to upgrade the lighting for the plants you have now but if you do want some higher demand plants then a T5HO fixture would certainly help with that & you most likely would need to be adding some kind of co2 system (diy or pressurised injection). Just a word of warning, WPG rules do not apply to T5HO lights. Those outdated rules were based off T8 & T12 lights. T5HO puts out more light per watt than either of those light forms & that makes the WPG rule useless when it comes to T5HO.

OP
NC_OBS

NC_OBS

ok, if I do end up getting an HO fixture maybe Ill just run 1 24 w maybe. I'll prolly get some comprehensive in a few weeks

New Threads