need molly help

carrie1012

Reaction score
I have two marbled mollies whom are pretty fat. Ive had them for about a month and a half and still no babies. What does a pregnant molly look like and how long do they carry the babies?

ado

Reaction score
that's a good question

I bought a pair of sailfin mollies had them a couple of week's then got another female cos I read that the male likes 2 fem's

then 3 day's later I have 19 baby sails , I think the new fem was V pregnent

these are my first fish so it was quite a shock I can tell you

but as to youI question ... I don't know how log they carry for but the lfs said when they are preg they have a black spot at the rear

HTH

Buzz

Reaction score
HI Carrie,

I think (based on our own experiences at home) that Mollies have a gestation period that is longer that helleries - Generally when your molly starts to 'swell' its about 5-7 weeks, but the fry get big really quickly compared to Helleries - we have a tank with fry (molly, hellerie and platy all born the same week) and the molly fry have grown much faster than the others.

Have a lot of patience. If you really want to preserve the fry, you can either put in floating plants or ensure there are adequate hiding spaces foe them when they are born or you can take out (isolate) the expecting mothers and put them in a different tank so that when the fry are born, you simply fish out the mothers and you are left with a tank of fry. (PS - the HikarI first bites are an excellent food to start them on)

lokky.funky

Reaction score
hmm yes..

Buzz is right. The mollies deliver every 4 to 6 weeks. The get pretty fat and you could also look for the black spot near the analfin.

They are prolific breeders and you don't have to worry much..

All the best.

New Threads