Need Mates For New 75g American Cichlid Tank

1. rsumner

rsumner Valued Member Member

I'm fairly new to the aquarium hobby and it's an understatement to say that I'm hooked! I have been successful with 5, 10, and 20 gallon tanks housing smaller species like Tetras, Barbs, and Cory's. Now that I've got a fairly good idea how to keep water conditions in order, I'm ready to graduate to a larger tank and larger fish. I've got my 75gal tank, so it's time to think about fish. I like the small and mid-sized New World Cichlids (eg, Rams, Convicts, Firemouth, Keyhole), but I'm finding it difficult to combine all of the information out there on required tank size and tank compatibility between species vs size.

What I would like: a pair of Black Convicts, a pair of Pink Convicts, a pair of Electric Blue Rams (or a single Electric Blue Jack Dempsey), something to keep my plant algae under control, and a collection of smaller schooling fish.

Unfortunately, AqAdvisor doesn't answer all my questions, but does provide some guidelines. I'm hoping this community can help me validate whether my Convict and Ram combo would work in addition to recommendations on a species and volume of smaller schoolers. Lastly, is there any hope for shrimp to keep my plants clean?

2. f

fishboy345 New Member Member

imo convicts are too aggressive for rams and any cichlid species would definitely eat shrimp

3. OP
    OP
    rsumner

rsumner Valued Member Member

Because I'm wanting a lot of plants in my 75, I think I'm going to stick with a larger collection of different rams. Thanks for listening to me rant, gang :)

4. f

fishboy345 New Member Member

Sounds like a beautiful tank!

5. vikingkirken

vikingkirken Well Known Member Member

You can have plenty of plants with cichlids, it just depends on the types (of both). Java ferns and anubias seem to do well with most cichlids.

6. JesseMoreira06

JesseMoreira06 Well Known Member Member

you would have to choose between the convicts or Rams

I would suggest something like this

1 Electric Blue Acara
    1 Rainbow Cichlid
    4 Bolivian Rams (1male/3females)
    10 Maccullochi Rainbow
    12 Lemon Tetras
    12-15 Panda or Peperred Corys
    1 Bn Pleco

Keep the temp at 74F