Need Lighting Recommendation For Fluval Spec V

1. S

Shifton Valued Member Member

Have a planted Fluval Spec V housing a single betta and a few nerites. Current lighting is a Finnex Planted Plus, which seems to be WAAAAAYYYYY too much light. I have the light on a timer to come on for an hour in the morning and then an hour in the afternoon, and I'm still getting a whole lot of algae. (I dose some Topfin CO2 every day, and Seachem Flourish every few days). I'm not growing anything fancy, just some Amazon swords.

Any recommendations for a new light? Preferably something that would provide enough light for healthy plant growth, but not so strong that I couldn't keep it on for most of the day (maybe with a rest period in the middle of the day). I've thought about attaching something to the lid to elevate my current light, but figure that it would have to be elevated a good 8-12 inches (which I don't want to do).

2. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

What about adding floating plants to shade the water? Frogbit or salvinia or something.

3. Briggs

Briggs Well Known Member Member

Is it a newer tank? The stock light in the newer kit might be all you need. If it's an older one (which didn't come with very good lighting), you could try the little cliplight version of the planted plus. You can use the goose neck to pull it farther away or closer to the water to make the light stronger or weaker. The lid won't quite sit right with it on, but you're probably going to run into that problem with most lights.

4. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

All I use in my spec v is the stock light... I started a Glossostigma carpet a few weeks back and even that is spreading (no co2) so yeah I think the stock light is perfectly sufficient... I have heard that models prior to 2016 had different lights, if that's the case I'd just go with the new model light. Anything I've tried grows awesome.