Need lighting options for a 60 gallon freshwater planted tank Help

1. katiemorrison94

katiemorrison94 Valued Member Member

I currently have a 60 gallon tank (48x12x25) with 2 hoods on it (one on each side). I want to get rid of my hoods, and just have the light strip over the top of my aquarium. I am having a problem with my aquarium getting to hot. What is the best light strip for my planted aquarium? I already have really good bulbs in my hoods that I bought, so I want to keep those for my plants.

I want to know the brand and your opinion of it, if you owe or have owned them before. Please and thank you.

I would like to keep the price below $175.

2. Jim

Jim Well Known Member Member

Advertisement

3. OP
    OP
    katiemorrison94

I was looking at that one. Can I put my my bulbs that one, or does it come all put together? I really like the bulbs I have now, I just want the hoods off my tank.

Advertisement

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

It comes together. If you like your bulbs, you might want to look for fluorescent fixtures that fit the bulbs (size and wattage) you already have. You can buy those from a hardware store.

5. OP
    OP
    katiemorrison94

How would I mount them? I guess I could maybe hang them from the ceiling? Do they sell decently priced brackets that fit on the back of the tank so I can hang the lights? I don't want anything that's permanently stuck to my tank, I made that mistake before. LOL

6. TexasDomer

I would get glass lids and rest the lights on the lids.

7. OP
    OP
    katiemorrison94

I am trying to have the top of my aquarium open to help with overheating. I have the opening to my hoods wide open 24/7 and I have the lights on for 4 hours in the morning and 4 hours in the evening to avoid the hottest part of the day. Wouldn't the glass lids keep all the heat in and prevent evaporation?

8. Grimund

Grimund Well Known Member Member

You could manufacture your own mounting kit for the ballasts?

Double "U" fixed at the center (bottom of the U) with four feet that rest on the rim. Ideally 2-4 of these. Add chain to them to hang the fixture.

I'm not sure on what materials though, it's an off the cuff idea. Just an idea if your set on florescent.

9. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

If you want the tank open topped I would hang the lights from the ceiling. Just my opinion

10. TexasDomer

It might be the lights adding heat to your tank. Are they T5 or T8 fluorescents? LEDs generally put off less heat than fluorescent.

11. OP
    OP
    katiemorrison94

I have no idea tbh. I would have to go home and look. I know that they are specifically for growing plants. The lights on aquariums have always confused me and I don't know why. I have been keeping fish and I know so much about plants, and compatibility, just not the lights! I have an overheating issue because my parents keep the air on 77 all day long when we aren't home. I can't lower my temp past about 77-78 degrees because of this so I am trying everything right now because it is summer time in Louisiana, and it's HOT!! lol

12. TexasDomer

If the air temp is 77 F, you won't get it lower than that without a fan or chiller.

13. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

14. OP
    OP
    katiemorrison94

Yes I know, I am just trying to make sure it doesn't get any hotter than that. Thank you!!

Advertisement