Need lighting and hood advice...

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bradleyheathhays, Dec 12, 2012.

1. b

bradleyheathhays New Member Member

I'm a brand new aquarium owner and I'm trying to set up my first aquarium which is a 125 gal model...measures 72 in long by 23 in high by 18 in front to back. Equipment wise what I have is the aquarium itself, stand, and two used filter/pump systems...a Fluval 404 and a Fluval 304 (hopefully they work). My plan is to set up a fresh water cichlid tank with whatever plants a cichlid tank will allow.

My next step is to purchase a hood/lighting system. And as I don't know a thing about what kind of equipment is out there, or what exactly I should be looking for, I'm writing in here to get some advice before I drop any $$.

What I know so far is that I'm looking for whatever light/hood system would be appropriate for a planted cichlid tank with a nice looking night moonlight option. Both Fluval systems move water into and out of the tank via a 1.5 inch hose. So whatever I settle on would need four openings to accommodate these hoses.

Here's some pics...

IMG_0307.jpg

IMG_0308.jpg

Each of the three openings measures 21 1/2 x 16 in, and each recess measures 22 1/4 x 16 1/2.

Well, that's about all I know at this point. Can someone give me a brief overview of maybe lighting / hood systems in general, and then suggest a direction I should looking at?

Many many thanks!

2. aquatic

aquatic Valued Member Member

Nice tank to start off with!
    For that size you may want to build a custom canopy like I did. I built it for the most part out of 1x8 boards and installed a 48" T8 shop light inside the canopy and use a pair of T8 6500k bulbs. It gives off quite a bit of light for the plants in my 55 gallon. By building custom, I hope over the Christmas break to also set up a custom blue light for night time moon lighting like you are looking for.

3. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

Geez...Mt first tank was a 29g. LOL

I thought your tanks trim look like my Aqueon 75 so I found the Aqeon Versatop in your size. They have a plastic filler strip in the back to cut to fit around equiptment.

4. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Most Cichlids dig. Therefore they dig up plants. Do you know which Cichlids you want?

For a hood you can do a custom glass canopy. You can purchase kits and take them to a glass shop and have them modified. That's what I did for my 125g but it only has a middle brace.

We purchased 2 3' Aqua Glass kits but only used 2 glass pieces as they weren't wide enough. Took measurements and went to a glass shop and had them cut 2 new pieces. The kits come with a plastic strip for the back so you can cut notches for tubing, cords ect. And another strip for attaching the 2 pieces of glass together, so you can open the lid. Comes with a handle also.

So measurements of the 2 new pieces left room for the strips when we put it together. The strips will slide onto the glass and will rest on the tanks lip. That's why we bought the kits because you can't buy the individual Plastic strips.

Hope I didn't confuse you. Lol.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice