Need input on goldfish question.

1. TailSpin Initiate Member

I'm thinking of getting a few gold fishes in to my 55 gallon tank. I have had an oscar for 4 years in there, it grew to 12 inches and 4 days ago it jumped out. My water: Ph-7.5, Kh- 4 and temp. 80F,(NitrAte-10 NitrIte-0) is this ok? How many fish can i put in to the tank concidering their adult size of 12 inches and their waste output? Once again since i had an oscar, do yoou think bacteria will be able to handle ammount of waste from lets say 3 adult goldfish? Thank you in advence.

2. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

Re: Need input on goldfish question. *NEW*

The "goldfish" that you are talking about are probably koi, which do get to be about 12" long. Three adult koi might be okay in a 55 gallon, providing you have good filtering and are careful not to overfeed. If you want more fish, most goldfish are actually 1/2 or 1/3 of that size. And you don't need the heater--goldfish and koi like cool water, although they'll be fone at 80 degrees.

3. fletch Member Member

Re: Need input on goldfish question. *NEW*

Gold fish can get to 18inches and koi can get to 3feet. Generally go by the rule of 1" of fish to 1 gallon of water. Add up the average size your fish may get and if its below 55 your fine.