Need info on my little buddy

barbiespoodle

Just wondering about Bumble's color and fin type.

I don't even know why I chose him, he was a small, no tail, plain looking betta, sure not the flashiest betta, couldn't even tell he was a male, but I took him anyway just because my heart told me to and put him in a heated, moderately planted, filtered, 5 gallon tank to sit next to me at the computer desk. Needless to say, he turned into a big, fat, beautiful boy who is very personable and spoiled rotten. He really is mine, and my husbands, Little Buddy, we both adore him.

He was called a Bumble Bee when I bought him, thus the name, but I have no idea what that means as far as fin type or color, thus my question.

And here's my fly in the ointment problem. I have been slowly building a sorority in my 55 gallon, planted, community tank with a lot of success since these little ladies have plenty of room to keep away from each other if they need to, but most are just fine with each others company, I'm loving the look, so many beautiful colors, maybe not as flashy as the males as far as tails, but just as beautiful. One of the new ladies has the same colors as Bumble and I'm getting it into my head that I might want to breed them, something I haven't done in about 50 years. So I put her in the nursery tank to grow up and be conditioned. Still don't know if I'm going to do it for the simple reason, I don't know yet what to do with the males, females, no problem, will just build my sorority or put one or two in one of the other tanks, Hey, the ladies are just as pretty as the boys. Plus I don't know if Bumbles extreme fins will be an issue as far as breeding. Still up in the air on this and will welcome any advice.

Anyhow, back to the main question. I hope from the pics you can help me better identify Bumble because I just want to know for my personal info. But in the end, I think he's a beautiful boy, I totally love him, and in the end, that's all that matters.

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 20220813_152104.jpg
    20220813_152104.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220813_151819.jpg
    20220813_151819.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220813_152650.jpg
    20220813_152650.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 6

Demeter

He is a halfmoon, “bumblebee” is basically just a fancy name for “mustard gas” to help them sell better.

I would definitely not breed from him, firstly he is not a betta with good body shape. When breeding bettas you want to choose individuals with the best body and fin shape. Plus they should be relatively young and in top breeding form. Meaning no offense, he’s just not a breeding quality betta. He looks okay otherwise, if a bit on the plump side. I think some daily mirror exercises and a little less food will do him some good.

It is very hard to sell/rehome males unless they are uniquely colored and/or breeding quality. Breeding from him will likely result in less than top quality fish, which are very hard to move along to new home. Better to just let him enjoy his life as a single man.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Irishlass
Replies
Views
Goldiemom
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies
Views