Need immediate help!

Sam Livingston

Valued Member
Reaction score
Introducing fish for first time to tank and there dying off immediately. The pet store is closed and cant find anywhere to call that's open. The tank has been cycled and all water parameters are perfect. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you acclimate fish properly? can you give more detail on you tank setup?

Sam Livingston

Valued Member
Reaction score
Yes I did acclimate them. The Cardinals and Damsels were in same tank at pet store. I also had put hermit crabs, snails, brittle star fish, and shrimp in there and they're all doing good. I'm wondering if there water from the tank at the store was drastically different from mine.

Stang Man

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes very much could be salinity must be different! Did you add water from your tank to bags?I fso how long and how much?

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Please tell me you did a typo and typed 1 too many 0's in there.

1.022 is saltwater. 1.0022 is freshwater.

What are you using to measure you sg? Hydrometers can be off if not properly maintain.

You should really use a drip method to introduce you fish. IMO it's better for the fish and easier on you (just start the drip and go watch tv for awhile)

Last edited:

zeeter

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Did they survive the night? How long did the fish live before passing?

This probably didn't do it, but you should never include the water from the LFS in your tank. Pour it off before adding the fish. You never know what chemicals they may have added for medication and things like that.

Sam Livingston

Valued Member
Reaction score
Did they survive the night? How long did the fish live before passing?

This probably didn't do it, but you should never include the water from the LFS in your tank. Pour it off before adding the fish. You never know what chemicals they may have added for medication and things like that.
Yes they all died, most within 10 minutes. I'll keep that in mind for future about discarding their water. Called pet store today, they said I should have just got starter fish of damsels. But the damsels died instantly too, so basically they have no clue what happened either. Water still reads perfect.

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes too many 0's. 1.022, using Instant Ocean Hydrometer. Explain drip method, i'm not familiar with it.
Check out the picture on the site.

You could make one from easy enough or just make knot with a piece of tubing. The tighter the knot the slower the flow. You just want a slow, but steading drip. Discard the water as the bag fills. I like to do this for at least an hour, if not two. Depends really on the fish. The longer you run it the slower I would make it drip. Plastic valve makes it easy to do.

Sam Livingston

Valued Member
Reaction score
Check out the picture on the site.

You could make one from easy enough or just make knot with a piece of tubing. The tighter the knot the slower the flow. You just want a slow, but steading drip. Discard the water as the bag fills. I like to do this for at least an hour, if not two. Depends really on the fish. The longer you run it the slower I would make it drip. Plastic valve makes it easy to do.
Thank you, I ended up looking it up after it was suggested, and already have the tube ready for when I return to get starter fish

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thank you, I ended up looking it up after it was suggested, and already have the tube ready for when I return to get starter fish
I hope you have better luck with you next fishes. Will the LFS refund you your loss?

When you go get more fish bring some of you water with you and have your LFS test it.

I know you stated that all was well with your water, but it wouldn't hurt.

One thing I've learned with test kits is take the results as an educated guess and not law.

My hydrometer is a good example it reads .03 off. Verified with a spectrometer.

I think I would only buy one fish also, just in case. So you don't have a ton of dead fish again. After he seems like he's going to be okay than I put more fish in a day or two later.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm betting it's the refractometer. All the ones I've used were junk compared to a calibrated refractometer. If you want to find out how much it's off, take it to a LFS that uses a refractometer and compare the readings.

Are you sure the tank has cycled, or has the LFS advised you to add fish to cycle the tank?

Also, telling you that you need to start out with damsels is flat out wrong. There are lots of other fish that you can start with, as long as the tank has cycled, that shouldn't be any trouble for you. If you aren't planning on keeping damsels as part of your eventual stocklist, I'd skip them altogether or you'll be tearing your tank apart to get them out when they become aggressive little pains in the rear end.

You seem to be getting poor advice from the LFS, so I would suggest not listening to them anymore. Research on your own before you buy and you'll be fine.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom