*NEED IDENTIFICATION* Crazy looking snail found in my tank.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AlexNave, Aug 8, 2015.

1. AlexNaveNew MemberMember

Purchased some live plants the other day and noticed some tiny snails on it when I got home. Thought nothing of it. Found this insane looking snail today.
    I have no ideas to what species it is. Never seen anything like it, at least not in freshwater.

2. biller

billerWell Known MemberMember

Looks like a horned nitrate snail

Sent from my P900/Q900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Nympxzie

NympxzieValued MemberMember

It looks nothing like a horned nerite snail imo. This snails body is more like a trumpet snail (elongated) versus a nerite which is very circular, not to mention the horns on a nerite come out of the shell. Totally different from this snail.

A google image search shows that Malaysian trumpets seem to have that similar spikey growth going on. not positive on the ID though.

4. Anders247

Anders247Fishlore LegendMember

Welcome to fishlore!
    It's not a nerite snail or an MTS. More like a pond snail to me, but we need a better pic...

5. Nympxzie

Pond snails have that round shell shape though, this guy's shell is a cone.

6. Anders247

There's different species in Physa, it could be related. It doesn't have the same patterning MTS have from what I can see in that pic. I would say definitely a Physa sp. snail. They have this shaped shell.

7. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

It's kind of like a bladder snail in shape but I don't know what's going on with the spiney bits...

Definitely not a horned nerite though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. OP
    OP
    A

AlexNaveNew MemberMember

I don't rly know how to post pics on forums. I'm a noob

The "spines" are the part that's confusing me. They move all around and retract back into the shell when scared. It has a extremely long slender foot. It sometimes wraps it's foot around its shell and poofs out the tentacle like spines.

The shell is a semi cone that flatens out to be more of round shell type. It's color has varied from red to brown.

It's face is very sharp and pointed. It's mouth is small but has a sharp rasping parts.

It is also extremely fast. On glass and gravel. I would say faster that my saltwater double foot turbo snails.

It is growing quickly
    just don't understand the weird spikes.

9. Anders247

10. OP
    OP
    A

AlexNaveNew MemberMember

Ok got it my browser is giving me trouble.
    Hope you can see them.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  11. OP
    OP
    A

AlexNaveNew MemberMember

It is very active , so I can get more pictures.
    Just let me know.

12. aliray

alirayFishlore VIPMember

I don't know but it is a neat looking snail. Alison

13. Nympxzie

I agree. That's one weird snail. Treasure it forever and hopefully someone can come up with an exact ID

14. Anders247

It's definitely some type of bladder snail, Physa sp, imo....

15. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

Welcome to Fishlore, Alex!! I hope you will enjoy your time here on the forum.

I agree that it looks like a bladder snail, but wow!!! He's lovely!!!! I love the pattern on your snail.

The "spines" you mention, if you are talking about the things pointing out in front of his head, are more tentacles. He has control of them and they are not sharp.

16. OP
    OP
    A

AlexNaveNew MemberMember

Yup! Bladder snail it is.

I didn't wanna say tentacles, but that's what they are and they are getting bigger.

Also it has started to lay groups of eggs all over the inside of the krusty krab! ( it's my girlfriend's tank) lol

Hopefully the other fish and shrimp won't eat them.

17. OP
    OP
    A

AlexNaveNew MemberMember

And I think you may be confused. I'm not taking about the its tentacle above its eyes.
    That's not patterns in it's shell, it's feather like apendages laying on the shell. They also come out of the back of the shell near the tail. It can move them freely and brushes off shrimp with them.
    I'm trying to get a good picture so you all can see it flare them out and point it's tail straight up.

18. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

The only thing I can think of is a trapdoor snail. I've only seen pictures and know nothing about them, but the shell is pointy like a trumpet snail, but bulkier like a bladder snail. Try looking them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

19. OP
    OP
    A

AlexNaveNew MemberMember

It's for sure a badder snail species. Invasive, went back to the store and all their tanks are infected with tiny snails.

Thinking it's semi-aquatic because they have skipped from nonconnected tanks.

20. kidster9700

kidster9700Well Known MemberMember

Huh, that's interesting. I've never liked bladder snails, but this one actually seems cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice