*NEED IDENTIFICATION* Crazy looking snail found in my tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

biller

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Looks like a horned nitrate snail

Sent from my P900/Q900 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Nympxzie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It looks nothing like a horned nerite snail imo. This snails body is more like a trumpet snail (elongated) versus a nerite which is very circular, not to mention the horns on a nerite come out of the shell. Totally different from this snail.

A google image search shows that Malaysian trumpets seem to have that similar spikey growth going on. not positive on the ID though.

Nympxzie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Pond snails have that round shell shape though, this guy's shell is a cone.

Anders247

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
There's different species in Physa, it could be related. It doesn't have the same patterning MTS have from what I can see in that pic. I would say definitely a Physa sp. snail. They have this shaped shell.

Bijou88

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It's kind of like a bladder snail in shape but I don't know what's going on with the spiney bits...

Definitely not a horned nerite though.

AlexNave

Reaction score
I don't rly know how to post pics on forums. I'm a noob

The "spines" are the part that's confusing me. They move all around and retract back into the shell when scared. It has a extremely long slender foot. It sometimes wraps it's foot around its shell and poofs out the tentacle like spines.

The shell is a semi cone that flatens out to be more of round shell type. It's color has varied from red to brown.

It's face is very sharp and pointed. It's mouth is small but has a sharp rasping parts.

It is also extremely fast. On glass and gravel. I would say faster that my saltwater double foot turbo snails.

It is growing quickly
just don't understand the weird spikes.

AlexNave

Reaction score
Ok got it my browser is giving me trouble.
Hope you can see them.

Last edited by a moderator:

AlexNave

Reaction score
It is very active , so I can get more pictures.
Just let me know.

Nympxzie

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I agree. That's one weird snail. Treasure it forever and hopefully someone can come up with an exact ID

Tonia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore, Alex!! I hope you will enjoy your time here on the forum.

I agree that it looks like a bladder snail, but wow!!! He's lovely!!!! I love the pattern on your snail.

The "spines" you mention, if you are talking about the things pointing out in front of his head, are more tentacles. He has control of them and they are not sharp.

AlexNave

Reaction score
Yup! Bladder snail it is.

I didn't wanna say tentacles, but that's what they are and they are getting bigger.

Also it has started to lay groups of eggs all over the inside of the krusty krab! ( it's my girlfriend's tank) lol

Hopefully the other fish and shrimp won't eat them.

AlexNave

Reaction score
And I think you may be confused. I'm not taking about the its tentacle above its eyes.
That's not patterns in it's shell, it's feather like apendages laying on the shell. They also come out of the back of the shell near the tail. It can move them freely and brushes off shrimp with them.
I'm trying to get a good picture so you all can see it flare them out and point it's tail straight up.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The only thing I can think of is a trapdoor snail. I've only seen pictures and know nothing about them, but the shell is pointy like a trumpet snail, but bulkier like a bladder snail. Try looking them up.

AlexNave

Reaction score
It's for sure a badder snail species. Invasive, went back to the store and all their tanks are infected with tiny snails.

Thinking it's semi-aquatic because they have skipped from nonconnected tanks.

kidster9700

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Huh, that's interesting. I've never liked bladder snails, but this one actually seems cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • No

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 45 65.2%

Top Bottom