Need Ideas

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by peregrine, Jun 28, 2016.

1. peregrine

peregrineValued MemberMember

Ok, so thanks to everyone here who has a planted Aquarium and an especially big thanks to @jhigg008 for sharing his stand build ((discovered my wifes biggest complaint for a bigger tank was the expense of building a new stand, and since this tank is also for my 3 year old, we need a stand that will be low enough for her to enjoy it too)), I finally have my wife convinced we need a tank larger than a 20 long to replace the 10 gal we have right now... Still figuring out exactly what but will most likely be at least a 30 long.. She wants enough room for plants to "fill out" So looking for advice on lighting and plants. I know lighting is a big part of growing but like LED lights and soo many people are saying that LED lights won't even grow low light and can't seem to find a good light fixture that will likely grow plants well. So a little info I know about the tank.

1) Will be doing black sand
    And here are the fish I'm thinking of putting in it...

20 Neon Tetras
    20 Zebra Danios/Glofish ((probably do a mixed school since my daughter loves her pink fishes and wants purple ones but loves her "zebra fish"))
    12 Albino Corys
    10 Ghost Shrimp or Amano Shrimp ((not sure how these will do with the Corys))

Since my wife is going to be the one taking care of the plants, I'm not worried about my black thumb. She can save almost any plant I touch..

I have seen the large schools of neons and of zebra danios and think they look cool actually schooling aroudn the tank.

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

For that many fish, I'd look for a 55 gal minimum (if you want to go a bit smaller, a 40 gal breeder would be nice, but I would lower the number of neons and danios).

There are some fantastic LED fixtures out there that will grow plants really well. There are also some that won't - but the same could be said of fluorescents.

I'm a big fan of the Finnex fixtures. Depending on what kind of plants you want to stock, a Stingray or a Planted Plus or a 24/7 would be great. Stingrays are good for low light plants; Planted Plus for low/medium and 24/7 for low/medium (not as good for medium plants as the Planted Plus due to the shorter photoperiod of the higher intensity).

The types of plants you get will also determine your fertilizer needs. What kind of plants did you want to stock? Did you want to start easy?

3. OP
    OP
    peregrine

peregrineValued MemberMember

Yeah I would think start easyish. just because its our first trip into planted..

As for fish. 15 or drop all the way to 12 each?

4. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I'd do a Finnex Stingray and stock with low light plants. You'll need root tabs for the root feeders, but you can probably get away without liquid ferts.

What about Java fern, Anubias, Java moss, vals, crypts, wisteria, sprite, dwarf sag, swords, etc.?

For a 40 breeder, maybe 10 danios and 15 neons?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice