Need ideas to help my sick fish

mlinden84
Ok I'm not really sure if it's a disease or not... but he is definitely sick. My poor little yellow lab cichlid is not doing well. I got him 2 months ago, along with 4 other african cichlids. He was in a tank with a total of 7 other african cichlids, the biggest being 2 1/2 inches or so. I ended up moving him to a 10 gallon tank last weekend as I was worried he wasn't getting any food. He is extremely skinny and has lost most of his color (the other yellow lab is a brilliant yellow). When I got him, he was the largest of all the fish, but it seems like he hasn't grown.
As I mentioned before, I moved him to a 10 gallon tank so I could make sure he actually got a chance to get some food. But he doesn't seem to want to eat. I have rocks in the 10 gallon where he is, so its not like a bare tank is stressing him out. My water is fine, at 0, 0, and 7, ph 8.0 and temp at 80.
Like I said, i'm not sure if its a disease but something is definitely wrong with the little guy. I hate to watch him basicly starve to death. If anyone has any ideas of what's going on I would greatly appreciate it!

I'm attaching a picture of him...sorry if it's not very clear, my camera doesn't do well taking pictures of fish through the glass!

Chief_waterchanger
Could just be an extremely shy fish, dunno what else to suggest though, sorry.

mlinden84
He used to be the bully in the tank, but slowly the others grew and started chasing him all the time. It wasn't just one fish, they all do it. Combine that with not eating and he's turning into a really skinny guy.
Also, would it help if I put another small cichlid in the 10 gallon to keep him company? or would that not work out? I am planning on adding to my 55 gallon tank next week anyways.

Chief_waterchanger
I would not suggest giving him company. Sorry to not be of more help, but the best thing sometimes is to give them time alone.

COBettaCouple
what have you tried to feed him? he may have internal parasites or bacteria of some type.. do you have liquid vitamins like vitachem? minced garlic, thawed frozen bloodworms, daphnia -- maybe he'd eat one or more of those foods?

mlinden84
what have you tried to feed him? he may have internal parasites or bacteria of some type.. do you have liquid vitamins like vitachem? minced garlic, thawed frozen bloodworms, daphnia -- maybe he'd eat one or more of those foods?

Yup I've got vitachem(from the bettas) that I have been using. I've tried 2 different types of cichlid minI pellets, bloodworms (even tried soaking them in the garlic stuff), and daphnia. He hasn't eaten anything that I have seen (but I am unable to sit and watch him 24 hours a day)
Should I try treating him with something? I've got triple sulfa, rid fungus, and melafix on hand, and I can go get anything else he might need. I'm just don't know where to start.

COBettaCouple
Does the behavior of your guy fit either of these?

Fungal Infections (often secondary to another type of illness): Erratic swimming, darting, scratching, visible cotton-like tufts on skin, eyes, or mouth.

Parasitic Infections: Inactivity, loss of appetite, excess mucus or film on body, visible spots or worms, rapid breathing, scratching.

mlinden84
Mystery solved.
This morning "he" actually ate something. Didn't think too much of it, I was kinda in a hurry. Then this afternoon I came home and tried feeding "him" a little more, "he" ate again (and has really put on weight) Then I noticed something swimming around.... BABIES! LoL apparently "he" is really a she, and I'm guessing she lost weight cuz she had the babies in her mouth.... now I'm trying to learn as much as I can about care for the babies as I can. Since the mom has gained weight and is looking good, I may move her into the main tank tonight...I'm kinda worried about her eating them, but then again if she had them in her mouth I think she should be ok. Looks like I need to do some homework on their breeding and babies. But I'm excited! They are SO cute!

armadillo
Oh, Mlinden, that is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch good news!!!

COBettaCouple
great to hear that! ;D

mlinden84
I know I'm so glad she wasn't sick! I've done tons of reading this afternoon to learn what to do with the little babies. Looks like my 10 gallon hospital tank is now a nursery. I can't explain how excited I am! I've only had fish in the tank for a little over 2 months now. Looks like I've been doing something right!

COBettaCouple
can't wait to see pics.

mlinden84
I'll try... but my camera sucks at taking pictures of the big colorful adults, pretty sure it won't work for the little babies, but I'll see what I can do!

mlinden84
They aren't the best, but you can at least kinda see the little blurs... They don't hold still!!

COBettaCouple
yea, I see a few of them.

mlinden84
I've counted 6 so far... but they move around so fast it's hard to tell. I took out all the gravel yesterday (verrry slowly to make sure no babies were in the handfull). It's easier to keep it clean without gravel... they seem to miss the food when it falls. This way they can find it easier and it is easier to vacuum it up. Anyways... I wanted to say thank you to everyone who offered ideas as to what was wrong with my fish! ;D Thanks for helping!

-Michelle

COBettaCouple
did you put the gravel in another tank or a bucket/container of tank water?

mlinden84
I put a little bit of it back into my community tank (same kind of rocks). The rest I put in a bucket and drained all the water so I could put it away dry... Why?

COBettaCouple
just thinking about the good bacteria on the gravel.

mlinden84
Yeah I thought about that too... but I figured I had the biowheel filter in that tank so I'd be ok. I'm going to stay away from gravel in my hospital tank... to much work to vacuum it up, and I feel it's easier to keep the tank REALLY clean for sick fish (or nursery as it will be for the next few (?) months while these little guys grow up. I went yesterday and got the babies some "cichlid delight" frozen food that is supposed to help them grow faster. They seem to love it. The adults do too... hopefully they don't get any more ideas and start breeding again! But at least I know they are happy, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

Top Bottom